Apple TV slow and need to reboot... every time

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by djcedr, Sep 4, 2014.

1. djcedr macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an ATV 3. The setup is simple, no jailbreak. Connected on an impressively fast wifi N connexion. Logged in my iTunes account, with Home Sharing with my MacMini, always on. ATV set up to never go into sleep mode. Airfoil on my MacMini and streaming the sound of ATV into Airfoil by Airplay (tried to deactivate it and my issue described below is still here).

Now, when I start my ATV and stream an iTunes TV show I bought (not through HomeSharing), it's a perfect experience, the playback starts in 1 sec, 1080p, wow.
    The next day, I do the same thing, start streaming a show on iTunes (not through HomeSharing), and this time, it says the show will start in 33 minutes!!! I reboot my ATV and it's blazing fast again.

I've had this observation maybe 10 times, tried different things, including the 'never go to sleep ATV setting' thing, deactivate AirPlay streaming...
    ATV is great but if I have to unplug and replug it every time, it's a real pain!

Any idea? Someone already experienced such things? (fast connexion at first, then extremely slow the next day until unplug/replug solves it)

Thanks a lot
    Cédric

2. Joshsand, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

Joshsand macrumors newbie

Joshsand

Apple tv 3 drop out

This did happen to my 2 x Apple TV 3's.
    Tried everything and then found out it was a hardware problem - subject to replacement - limited to a specific serial number range.
    Perhaps you could check with an authorised Apple service provider.

3. alvaroe16 macrumors newbie

Same thing

I experience the same thing every day. If i am going to use my apple tv, i have to restart it!

4. poe diddley macrumors regular

Same here. As standard procedure, i restart my atv every time i turn it on. Netflix has started to act weird lately, losing connection and slowing to standard def here and there while i have far less of these occurrences on other apps like Showtime and hbo. I'm considering running an Ethernet cable to it and ditch the wireless to see if that helps.
    I'm running it thru a Cisco router that is literally 2 feet away from the atv thru the wall.