Apple TV software update october 12th?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stofferdk, Oct 11, 2011.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Dear MacRumors

I tried searching the forums and browsing a bit, but most post are concerned about features of the next update, and not when it will arrive.

Is there any intel on this? On the apple homepage, all iPhones have been updated with "ships with iOS 5" and "iOS 5 arrives October 12th". Yet the apple tv page is still "coming soon" regarding the iOS5 compatible update with photostream and mirroring.

I was not able to get into the beta with my Apple TV, so I am very anxious to try it out.

So... any news? Will it arrive tommorow?

2. dnelms macrumors regular

dnelms

If I were a betting person, I'd bet no. I have a feeling the desire on Apple's part to update the ATV2, falls low on the rung. IMO they are more concerned with any potential problems on the established base of iphones and ipads right now (rightly so). I'd hope I'm wrong, but I'd guess at least a couple of weeks after the IOS5 launch, but it's just a guess.

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Yes, iOS 5 will be released for ALL devices running iOS tomorrow. This includes the Apple TV.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

With Airplay, the ATV is becoming more and more important to Apple's strategy. That said, because it is a relatively basic device, it's not going to see the same frequency or complexity of updates that other iOS devices do.

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Not updating my JB'd ATV2 until theres an app store anyway...

6. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Should do - you'll need it for ipad2 / iPhone 4s mirroring.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apple has kept the Apple TV updated with every iOS update since launch. It's getting the same update as any other iOS device.

In fact, a few iOS features were pioneered on the Apple TV including home sharing and TV Show streaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#Version_history:_Apple_TV_.28second_generation.29

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It has to be updated tomorrow as ios 5 promises AirPlay mirroring with iPad 2 ( as we seem in the beta versions of the apple tv software). So, I say yes, it will be out tomorrow. Unless there are some issues with it...strange there has been no GM for it...

9. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

They never do GMs for ATV. The final build is always just a wait-til-launch sorta thing. Not sure why

10. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

They would release a developer preview for something you can't develop for...

11. aldoF macrumors regular

I found beta6 for the aTV and was very tempted...but I'm just gonna wait a couple of hours until the public release....already got iOS5 GM on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 and can't wit for mirroring..