Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
The Apple TV is extremely easy to use... the mac mini is way too complicated in fact. My stepdad figured out ATV in less than 5 minutes but he doesn't know how to use a SONY DVD player or Mac Mini keyboard.

Remember, not everyone is computer saavy like we nerds here. In fact, the ATV GUI is much better than Front Row in my honest opinion.

How is the GUI any different? (A serious question as I don't have an :apple:TV)

Also, even if it's easier/better for them to use they still have to have a computer with iTunes managing all of their files. If your stepdad had to setup an :apple:TV in his own home, wouldn't he have to have the skill to maintain an iTunes database of files and purchase items from the ITMS?

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT

Also, even if it's easier/better for them to use they still have to have a computer with iTunes managing all of their files. If your stepdad had to setup an :apple:TV in his own home, wouldn't he have to have the skill to maintain an iTunes database of files and purchase items from the ITMS?

The Apple TV adds in a podcast and streaming content for the GUI. Also it's more drop down than the fancy rotating shebang on the Front Row. My stepdad found it easier to use when we used the remote on both.

So if a non-computer guy found Apple TV easier to use, it gotta be better.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT

By the way, ONLY I will be managing the original database of iTunes for him. He just needs to know how to playback the files on the screen. :)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
It seems the biggest problem is that everybody wants an Apple DVR, and when Apple TV was first rumored everybody was hoping for a DVR which they could also stream to from their PCs. And then it turned out it was streaming only. Just a tease.

I've not used Tivo, but the Cable company DVRs are completely terrible. They update the software every now and again, but they're still lousy. Any developers who used one for more than 5 minutes would immeditately see the flaws. But an Apple DVR would be amazing.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
The Apple TV adds in a podcast and streaming content for the GUI. Also it's more drop down than the fancy rotating shebang on the Front Row. My stepdad found it easier to use when we used the remote on both.

So if a non-computer guy found Apple TV easier to use, it gotta be better.

By the way, ONLY I will be managing the original database of iTunes for him. He just needs to know how to playback the files on the screen.

Fair enough, I'll have to trust you that it's easier to use. It seems ideal for people in your situation, but if it were me I would have forced my family to use Front Row on the Mini. But that's just me. ;)

I'd actually like to have an :apple:TV, but like the original poster, I'm holding out for HD 5.1 iTunes downloads. That is unless the mod/hack community comes up with something irresistible.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
It's my guess the iTunes store will move whatever content it can to 720P with the introduction of the iPhone or the "true" Video iPod. Those devices will either handle it natively or downres appropriately for their screens. As long as we only have the current "video" ipod, Apple isn't likely to release anything it won't play no matter how many Apple TVs it can sell...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.