apple tv + sound bar = sloooow. why?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by karilynn, May 12, 2014.

1. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Let me start by saying, I am not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to audio/wiring... that being said, I have an issue...

Today I bought a Vizio 5.1 sound bar system thingy from Best Buy. I know very little about home audio, wiring, etc., but the sales man at BBY assured me that anybody could set this thing up. I took comfort in that until I came home and set it up. Turns out, you do need to know what you're doing, at least a little bit. I finally managed to get it working (I think, the sound bar works at least, can't say the same for the satellite speakers, but one thing at a time)

I like to watch HBO GO on my Apple TV and I've been attempting to do so all day since I hooked up this sound bar system, but it is loading painfully slow. In fact, I tried to stream music though Apple TV (which used to work just fine) but it is so choppy now. Then, I tried to watch Netflix through my VIZIO TV, worked just fine. It's the Apple TV for sure - internet is fine. And it all started since I installed this sound bar system.

But I can't for the life of me figure out why it would be happening. I have the sound bar connected directly to the TV with a red/white input cable. It doesn't use wifi at all. What am I missing? Why would this sound bar cause the Apple TV to stream so slowly, it is because it has to pull audio through another component? I can't figure out why and like I said, I'm kind of dumb with this stuff, so if anybody has some ideas they could give me, that would be super swell.

thank you! :D

2. afd macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't make a difference, unless the soundbar is somehow blocking your WiFi signal? Have you tried disconnecting it and seeing if everything returns to normal? Maybe something coincidentally happened to network at the same time?

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

How is the sound bar communicating with the satellite speakers? Are they wireless? It sounds like the soundbar is causing some sort of interference.