Apple TV Sound Issue w/ Movies

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ajkr711, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ajkr711 macrumors newbie

I have recently been having a problem with having no sound on a majority of the movies that I've put into iTunes. I use Handbrake with VLC to rip them and convert them to the appropriate file.

The sound works fine when I play them on my iMac, and they will actually stream to my TV utilizing the Apple TV, but there is no sound on almost all of them.

It seems like this only started occurring after a recent Apple TV software update, but I have found nothing conclusive. This is a real pain.

Any known workarounds? Any ideas/thoughts as to a possible fix?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What audio streams and in what formats does your movie contain?
    There needs to be an AAC stereo stream and may be a AC3 surround stream:
    [​IMG]
    You need a tool, either Subler, QuickTime 7 or Media Inspector (or similar), to see the exact composition of your movie!

3. ajkr711 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Subler, but I'm unsure as to the exact settings...I'll double check and reply later tonight.

4. ajkr711 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the AAC, 2ch and AC-3, 2ch both selected and are part of all of the movies.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

AC3 track should not be selected, only the AAC one!
    The rest is handled via :apple:TV preferences. If you selected DD surround as On or Auto, it will automatically play back AC3 track, if present.
    FWIW what's the point of having an AC3 2.0 (ie stereo) track at all? That you get from AAC with less bitrate. And you can even pack analog surround (Dolby ProLogic) into those 2 channels, if you will.
    If you don't have 5.1 sound in a movie, skip the AC3 track altogether!