Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Thnking about it.

Is this processor able to handle 720p video?

My god first the iPhone is crapped out now apple tv is starting to not sound appealing after all.

I hear the sounds of past mistakes on apple part. I think we might have the first 2 flops of apples next 30 years. Unfrtunetly, but hey their the ones who decided to cripple their products their worst then microsoft sometimes.

I think i will pass. It appears no high def streams anytime soon, specially with this 1ghz pentium processor sounds so ancient .My god when was the last time we heard of 1ghz?

It also has a Geforce Go 7400.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I think we're forgeting one key thing here people.
This isn't like an official press release from apple it's apple insider for crying out loud not only that it's "According to those familiar with the component makeup of Apple TV"

I think people are getting a bit to excited about this

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
that makes me not want it. too bad

Why? AppleTV doesn't do anything CPU-intensive to begin with, so it doesn't need a fast processor. The only thing the processor and the GPU does is to display the GUI and play back files that are in the HD. Do you want it to have faster processor "just because"? I heard that the iPhone only has some crappy Arm-processor instead of quad-core Xeon. That makes me not want it. Too bad.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Pentium? PENTIUM? Are you F'n kidding me? Yuck.

Pentium M has very little to do with Pentium 4. Pentium M is closely related to the Core-series of CPU's.

The Pentium architecture has always stank. I would have hoped that Apple would never have used it. Imagine if they had put Pentium 4's in the MacPro's.

Seriously, you are just demonstrating the fact that you know nothing about the subject-matter. Pentium M and Pentium 4 are two totally separate and different CPU's.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
You guys are all missing the real question.

Why does this $299, thin, internally cramped machine have a better GPU than both the MacBook and the Mac mini?

That is a very good question. I understand the need to keep a gap between the Mini and the more expensive Macs, but I think that the Macbook should at least have a BTO option for a real video card.

I'm actually impressed by the specs on the TV. You could run OS X on there without a problem; it has enough power, and the single USB port could be used for inputs. I'd definitely be on board a $300 Mac!

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
The more I think about the AppleTV, the more I feel torn about it.

First of all: I like the product. I really do. I like the design and simplicity of it. I want to like it. But... Why oh why they didn't include DVD-player in there? I have a digital receiver/DVR. And I have a DVD-player and a stack of DVD's. And I have no videos from iTunes (since no videos are available in Finland, but I digress). So what should I do?

- I can't get rid of the DVR, since I need it to watch TV (broadcasts are digital, my TV is analog)

- I can't get rid of the DVD, since I have quite a bit of DVD-movies. Yes, I do occasionally watch the extras and I need subtitles.

If AppleTV had included a DVD-player, I could have replaced my DVD-player with AppleTV. But as things are right now, I can't replace anything with the AppleTV.

Jobs said that "AppleTV is the DVD-player of the 21st century". Well, no, it's not. The video-content that AppleTV plays back is not as good as DVD-content (no extras etc.), and the playback-capabilities are limited. And AppleTV does not play back DVD's. But even still, I want to like AppleTV. But as things are right now, AppleTV would be yet another components in my stack of components. I want to make things SIMPLER. Adding yet another piece of equipment does not make things simpler, on the contrary. I currently have a remote for TV, DVR and DVD-player. If AppleTV had a DVD-player, I could have just TV, DVR and AppleTV-remote (with Apple Remote being really simple). As things are right now, I would have remotes for TV, DVR, DVD and AppleTV.

Since Front Row supports DVD-playback, why doesn't AppleTV support is as well? You know it makes sense. Make no mistake: If AppleTV had included a DVD-player, I would have been first in line to buy one.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Actually, Pentium M is a Pentium. It's based on the Pentium III, which itself is based on the Pentium Pro. Pentium 4 had nothing to do with "Pentium" :p

The Core Architecture, as mentioned previously, is based on the Pentium M.

Finally a post with some sense.

And for all you babies crying about it being a "pentium". Honestly, does it matter as long as it's fit for the task?

The discrete graphics for the price (if true) is very interesting, I'm not sure I believe these specs though.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Finally a post with some sense.

And for all you babies crying about it being a "pentium". Honestly, does it matter as long as it's fit for the task?

The discrete graphics for the price (if true) is very interesting, I'm not sure I believe these specs though.

GAMES!!!
With this specification, Apple have rolled out a stealth games console that is about 2-3x faster than a Playstation 2. With this processor and GPU it is a distant cousin of the first Xbox.

C.

elreudo

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
UK
The more I think about the AppleTV, the more I feel torn about it.

First of all: I like the product. I really do. I like the design and simplicity of it. I want to like it. But... Why oh why they didn't include DVD-player in there? I have a digital receiver/DVR. And I have a DVD-player and a stack of DVD's. And I have no videos from iTunes (since no videos are available in Finland, but I digress). So what should I do?

- I can't get rid of the DVR, since I need it to watch TV (broadcasts are digital, my TV is analog)

- I can't get rid of the DVD, since I have quite a bit of DVD-movies. Yes, I do occasionally watch the extras and I need subtitles.

If AppleTV had included a DVD-player, I could have replaced my DVD-player with AppleTV. But as things are right now, I can't replace anything with the AppleTV.

Jobs said that "AppleTV is the DVD-player of the 21st century". Well, no, it's not. The video-content that AppleTV plays back is not as good as DVD-content (no extras etc.), and the playback-capabilities are limited. And AppleTV does not play back DVD's. But even still, I want to like AppleTV. But as things are right now, AppleTV would be yet another components in my stack of components. I want to make things SIMPLER. Adding yet another piece of equipment does not make things simpler, on the contrary. I currently have a remote for TV, DVR and DVD-player. If AppleTV had a DVD-player, I could have just TV, DVR and AppleTV-remote (with Apple Remote being really simple). As things are right now, I would have remotes for TV, DVR, DVD and AppleTV.

Since Front Row supports DVD-playback, why doesn't AppleTV support is as well? You know it makes sense. Make no mistake: If AppleTV had included a DVD-player, I would have been first in line to buy one.

I agree with a lot of what you say and am in a similar position. Why wasn't a DVD palyer included? Probably because they are waiting for an affordable BlueRay drive! why no DVR? Probably because they want to sell TV and Movies via iTunes.

One question I have is that it can apparently output at 720P but what content will they sell at 720P or does it magically upscale current iTunes content to 720P - that would be nice!

Also what happens if it is connected to a 1080P screen? I've been waiting to by my flat screen until these have become available. Why buy a 720P screen when HD-DVD/Blueray all output 1080P?

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
The *big* news here is the dedicated graphics. I think this points at a big likelihood of GeForce Go 7400s in the next model Mac Minis, MacBooks and base model iMacs.

I believe the reverse, the a successor to AppleTV will have GMA X4000 graphics, along with the Mac mini, MacBook and base model iMacs.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
From Apple's QT HD gallery page (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/recommendations.html):
To play high definition video, a large amount of data must be processed by your computer. A powerful system will deliver the best playback experience.

For 1920x1080 (1080p) video at 24 frames per second:

QuickTime 7 for Mac OS X:
Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 or faster Macintosh computer; 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster
At least 512MB of RAM
128MB or greater video card

Since tv doesn't need to run other programs like a desktop does, does that mean if it has 128MB VRAM and 512MB RAM, it will be more than capable of displaying 1080p contents?

etjazz

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
The Pentium architecture has always stank. I would have hoped that Apple would never have used it. Imagine if they had put Pentium 4's in the MacPro's.

you're pretty dumb .... the core duo is essentially two pentium M cpu cores. the m series was based on pentium 3(witch additional cache) and it is a great architecture(compared to p4).

To sum up, the cpu in the aTV is a low voltage core solo running on 1 ghz.

edit: whoha, apparently a lot of mac users are very ignorant/unknowledgeable in regards to technology

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
two questions, does this thing act as a WAP as well meaning I can move my airport express to another rooom in the house and hook this up to a stereo for music and expand the house network,

and two, how well does it stream will there be a lag between the audio and video?

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Actually, Pentium M is a Pentium. It's based on the Pentium III, which itself is based on the Pentium Pro. Pentium 4 had nothing to do with "Pentium" :p

The Core Architecture, as mentioned previously, is based on the Pentium M.
They're also direct descendants of the Pentium II from those infamous snail ads :p .

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I really don't care what's inside it, just what it does.

I am looking for some way of storing the hundreads of CD's worth of music I have in a convenient form I can access via my TV and not be restricted to continually changing CD's - ie an ipod which plays through my pretty decent hifi.
I have a 2 G shuffle and love it but don't see a need for a bigger ipod.

From what I read this thing allows me to select my music on my TV in the same way as you select music on an ipod. That's all I want, I'll use my hard disk recorder for the TV stuff but its a secondary priority.

Is there any cheaper way of doing this???

Its had some great reviews and I am strongly considering getting it.
eg the Times love it and also rave about the iphone
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,20409-2543874.html

I have always had a quizzical eye to this whole cult of apple thing but after seeing the iphone launch I am totally won over.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Airport Express 6.5" square
Mac Mini 6.5" square
AppleTV 7.7" square

This says to me Apple is willing to shift things when they need.

7.7 - 1.2 inches more.

If they built a Mac Mini at that size would that be enough room to give it a 3.5" HDD for real HDD space (250GB+), and N wifi, C2D, and a real graphics card?

I would much prefer that over the AppleTV.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
The specs don't bother me, it's the lack of features that bugs me. It could at least have a @#^! DVD player in there. Or a TV tuner. Who the @#* wants to pay $299 when a $25 cable could do the same thing?? I mean seriously what's the point of HDMI when the content is SD quality at best??

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
The specs don't bother me, it's the lack of features that bugs me. It could at least have a @#^! DVD player in there. Or a TV tuner. Who the @#* wants to pay $299 when a $25 cable could do the same thing?? I mean seriously what's the point of HDMI when the content is SD quality at best??

It's a convenience thing especially if you've got like a mac pro you don't want to lug that thing into the lounge every time you want to watch your TV shows on the TV. Or even an imac,
Also If you like to download HD trailers off apple.com it could be in handy.

Mostly it just benifits people who use the music store however I guess you could Rip your DVD collection onto a mac somewhere and never have to take the disks out of their cases ever again.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
It's a convenience thing especially if you've got like a mac pro you don't want to lug that thing into the lounge every time you want to watch your TV shows on the TV. Or even an imac,
Also If you like to download HD trailers off apple.com it could be in handy.

Mostly it just benifits people who use the music store however I guess you could Rip your DVD collection onto a mac somewhere and never have to take the disks out of their cases ever again.

That's the MAIN reason I would buy an iTV for, but I am not yet sure about it...putting aside legal hurdles (for some countries) for a moment, are legally-ripped DVDs accepted into the iTunes library? Is that possible at all?

I kindly hope for an answer, as this would, in itself, justify a purchase...I have no use for iTMS shows or movies (being in CH), but I hate having to swap disks or keep a physical pile of discs to watch DVDs downstairs on my LCD TV...

Can anyone clarify this issue for me? Is iTV (and iTunes) able to recognize VIDEO.TS or legally-ripped DVD images? Thanks a lot!

clifflui

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2006
Hong Kong
I think we should all cry since the iPod does not have a Core-Duo chip built in. We should also cry because the iPod does not have a CD-reader and (as yet) no Bluetooth.

It appears that my best bet would be to sit back and see what happens as time goes on. That would be the most interesting thing to do :p My guess is that when we're all downloading 'DVDs' from the internet, a DVD player might seem like ol' Vinyl.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
if a system of those specs can do HD video than why the hell did my iMac G5 choke on HD like crazy:mad:

Which revision of the iMac G5 were you using? Which GPU was installed?
IIRC, there were versions with:
- late 2004: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 64 MB DDR, 8x AGP
- early 2005: unknown
- late 2005: ATI X600 Pro or ATI X600 XT, 128 MB DDR, PCIe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.