Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
I have read many of the posts and checked other forums but this may be a stupid question, can you use the apple Tv as a backup for time machine for the Macbook, or other software that can be installed on the apple tv. I have a apple router which I use with the apple tv, naturally they come out with the time capsule about 3 months after I bought the router! or can I install a backup harddrive and plug it in the usb in the apple router? Many thanks for some help!

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

A USB drive will not work with Time Machine if it is plugged into the router. Also, without some sort of hack you cannot use the appletv for this function either. You really can't install anything on the appletv nor can you put anything on it that is not music or videos. Again, there may be a hack that you can do to get this functionality but I don't know where to direct you for that.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
I have read many of the posts and checked other forums but this may be a stupid question, can you use the apple Tv as a backup for time machine for the Macbook, or other software that can be installed on the apple tv. I have a apple router which I use with the apple tv, naturally they come out with the time capsule about 3 months after I bought the router! or can I install a backup harddrive and plug it in the usb in the apple router? Many thanks for some help!

Stock? No. You can do all kinds of things with a Hacked ATV however (and hacking one is very, very easy these days). However, I haven't seen anything that would allow an ATV to act as a TM for a Macbook. Since the max HD size of an ATV is 160G, this would be hard, even if it were possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.