Apple TV Streaming/Quality

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ghsNick, Nov 14, 2015.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Does anyone know how I check how an Apple Movie Rental and the streaming quality?

Nothing pops up on the screen and I'd love to see my current quality.

2. fpnc macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure you get the best quality that is available based upon the setting you make in the Apple TV preferences (look under Settings -> Apps -> iTunes Movies and TV Shows). However, not everything is available in HD so you need to read the notes that are given under each rental.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

does iTunes still look better in 720p? It use to have really micro blocking with 1080p for iTunes content.

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Thanks for the response. But is there a way in the options (while watching a movie) to see its steaming quality?

For example - in Netflix there's a way to view it in the top left corner.

5. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

iTunes content does not have the optimized streaming where it will change from 1080p to 720p to 480 like Netflix does. If you set the appletv to play 1080p from the iTunes Store it will buffer till your internet will play 1080p. So if you are getting video that isn't stuttering it is playing at whatever your iTunes Store preference is.

6. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

What should I choose for video? I believe it comes set to Auto...which is listed at 1080p for me.

Should I just select 1080 or keep it on Auto?