Apple TV + Time Capsule Setup

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Arkious, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Hi all,

I know this is a question that pops up lots, but i hvae been doing a bit research and i was wondering if anyone knows what way to go about doing it & wether or not the :apple:TV 1 would be better for this.

The :apple:TV 1 had an internal hard drive, so it didnt need to have the mac running in the background. is it possible to stream movies from the time capsules iTunes library?

I know the :apple:TV 2 cant do this as standard, but when jail broken does it allow this? The :apple:TV 2 surely has the ability to run an itunes like program that lets you access the library like the mac?

At the moment i have my nice basic setup like so,
    internet - time capsule - iMac, Printer, :apple:TV, notebook, iPhone

the apple tv is marketed as energy efficient, the need to have a computer running rather than just a hard drive is pritty crap considering what its doing.
    please let me know asap as i need to know wether or not to return the :apple:TV which i really dont want to do!

Thanks

----------

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/HowTo_install_iTunes_on_AppleTV

there is this i have found but that seems old?

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

The short answer is NO, you will need a computer running iTunes on your network to stream to the apple TV2 , and the apple TV1 once you have filled its internal HDD.

The long answer is, Hack an Apple TV1 to run leapord, and it will run iTunes and connect to an external itunes library just like any PC.

The easy solution, Keep a mahcine running somewhere on the network with iTunes running, or, replace your Apple TV1 or 2 with a Mac Mini.

3. adbe macrumors 6502a

The iMac doesn't exactly suck juice especially when it's just being used as a streaming source. I used to hostile to running a PC as a permanent server, until I actually tried it.

4. immamac macrumors newbie

Since he has a time capsule if he Jailbroke the Appletv2 and ran XBMC would he be able to stream from the time capsule? JW as I'm considering this....

Thanks!