Apple TV TV App - international release date?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by NOITAIDAR, Oct 28, 2016.

1. NOITAIDAR macrumors member

NOITAIDAR

So... this is going to be a nightmare for googl-ability It's an App on Apple TV called TV... great, thanks Apple.

I noticed Apple say last night that the TV App would be released in December, starting in the United States.

If anyone hears anything about when this is going to be released internationally, I'd love to hear it.

I know... who cares about the rest of the world, right?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

They haven't announced an international release date.

3. NOITAIDAR thread starter macrumors member

NOITAIDAR

Hence this thread... to harness the power of the collective "Ear to the ground"

4. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

They should have had the courage (see what I did there) to make the TV app the default home screen, which is clearly what it was meant to be.

5. dontlookback82 macrumors newbie

I was excited when I first saw this, but it is still has a lot of work to do especially in the UK to make it great. If it was up and running alongside iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD that would be a good start. I would love to see Sky Sports and BT Sport to be a part of it, but I doubt that will ever happen unless you use Now TV.

It is also disappointing to see Netflix are not part of the plans as well to begin with. If Netflix and Amazon were to join the party this App could be a real winner.

Now the dream would be to link the TV app with Apple Music. It would be great to get direct playlists from TV shows and Films that you have watched.

In the meantime I will continue to use my Virgin Tivo box for TV and Sport, PS4 for gaming and Prime and my Apple TV for iTunes Media and Apple Music.

6. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

Release in December US and International 2017

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Are any further details known. Offline ability?

I'm disappointed this isn't available for Mac. Nearly half of my viewing is on Mac, nearly half on my phone, and only a small amount actually on the TV.

8. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Offline??? Since the 2nd generation, the Apple TV is a streaming box. It is meant to get all its content from the cloud. Apple really never focused on the Mac as video streaming platform. The reason why this is focused on iOS and tvOS is, that is how video content is cunsumed today. And all signs point toward that getting more popular in the future.

9. Richard28 macrumors member

There is not much point in this app in the uk is there?

If released in the uk It will just be a front window for ITunes content it would appear.

Doubt BBC will be part of it (not even siri integrated), no netflix, and there is pretty much no other uk content on the Apple TV...

Pretty embarrassing really.

10. aerre macrumors member

In Mexico we don't even have Siri in the AppleTV...
    Shame

11. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Agreed, I can't see it doing much in the UK. I think the Xbox one allowed you to play Sky through it? Perhaps that's the closest we'd get

12. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Unlike the 3rd gen, UK content providers are free to create an app. Only involvement needed from Apple is approving the app. So the real question is.... why have the U.K. Pay tv providers not supporting this platform?

13. profets macrumors 68040

I was bummed that it is going to be US only at first. But in all honesty, outside of the US it might not even be useful. It's really built around getting access to content from many apps when you have a cable sub to one of the major providers unfortunately.

14. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

ITV killed airplay now so you cant even airplay the ITV hub from phone, just get a black screen.

Seriously don't get why ITV/4/5 are so against ATV?

Even NowTV has a horrible app, ugly interface full of bugs and missing features.

15. Richard28 macrumors member

Good question... one that I have asked on these forums before!

There must be a reason somewhere in apples t&c's that make it unattractive, or alternatively Apple gives no support (financial or otherwise) in promoting the platform but others do?

Whilst we ponder that question, simply by a roku or fire tv and enjoy!

I went the roku route - very pleased! And only cost £30!

I've since bought a new LG tv with webos3.0 - brilliant tv (and 4K/dolby vision) - has all the uk content preloaded - fantastic - don't even need my roku anymore!

These boxes will over time become more and more redundant as more people upgrade to smart TVs....

Rip Apple TV.... you could have been great, but Apple missed the opportunity, and still don't get it!

16. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

The premise is awesome, but it needs more support. I want the up next section to include Youtube for example, and a live channels section so I can browse like I would on a TV guide. UK Catch up apps would be a bonus too, as would Freeview Play support.

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Live TV is most likely NOT included because pay tv providers aren't willing to Risk losing revenue from renting set top boxes to Apple TV.

18. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is the issue and the main reason Apple hasn't done anything big in the TV space. Yet. They're trying their best with what they have though

19. 2010mini macrumors 68040

If Apple wants to offer streaming they will have to play ball with the content owners and distributors.

20. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I see it the other way round; if you choose a competent box in the first place (e.g. Apple TV), it can adapt with the installation of new apps. Smart TVs (and other devices, e.g. Wii & Wii U) have had apps pulled - such as iPlayer and YouTube and there's nothing you can do other than buy a new TV (or add a box).

21. Wakey87433, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

Wakey87433 macrumors member

Wakey87433

Its mainly them being greedy. Initially they were happy to be on any platform but them TV manufactures started paying them to be exclusive for a period of time, this then led into them deciding they could do the same with other devices such as streaming boxes. For example Sky paid handsomely to get both ITV & C4 as Roku based devices exclusive for a couple of years, by all accounts when that expired Amazon buckled and paid to get them on their platform.

It also possible has a bit to do with the same reason Amazon Prime Video isn't on the AppleTV and thats the 30% aspect. Both ITV and C4 sell services and content also but they can't without handing all their profit over to Apple. Atleast on say an iPhone you have a browser at hand that they can direct you to to buy things but on a streaming box your largely stuck with having to buy in-app

And as someone said actually SmartTV's are more likely to be the thing that goes away. With most SmartTV's you get about a year, maybe 2 if your lucky before the TV manufacturer starts to abandon it meaning the app makers find it harder to keep their apps evolving along with their service. And as people can't afford new TV's every year the smart features become useless.

If a Streaming Box becomes obsolete though its more cost effective to replace it with a newer one (Even at the AppleTV prices). So we are more likely to see the TV makers actually partnering with current makers of boxes to provide a badged version of their device or making their own while focusing on making more dumb TV's where the smartTV development money goes into making better quality products at the same price