Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple-tv-4th-gen-250x222.jpg
Universal Search, the feature that allows users to find content across multiple apps and services using text or Siri voice search, was today added to several new apps in the United States, Australia, Canada, and other countries.

In the United States, AHC Go (American History Channel), Destination America Go, Discover Life Go, Filmstruck, Shudder, Sundance Now, and Velocity Go have been updated with Universal Search support.

In Australia, AnimeLab and DocPlay support Universal Search, as do City Video and Crave in Canada.

In France, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, and Spain, the MUBI app has been updated with support for Universal Search.

Apple's Universal Search feature was first introduced alongside the fourth-generation Apple TV. It was originally limited to iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Showtime, but Apple has been steadily expanding the number of apps that work with Universal Search since its debut.

Apple maintains a full list of apps that support the Apple TV's Universal Search feature in a dedicated support document. Apple plans to continue expanding the search feature to additional apps.

Along with Universal Search, AHC Go, Destination America Go, Discover Life Go, and Velocity Go also now work with the TV app on the Apple TV and iOS devices in the United States. Apps that support the TV app are also listed in an Apple support document.

Article Link: Apple TV Universal Search Feature Expands to Sundance Now, AHC Go, Filmstruck and More

Reactions: jdillings

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
Glad to see the first useful expansion of this feature for Canadian customers. I don't know anyone who uses CuriosityStream, Hopster, or MUBI, but at least a few use CraveTV.

Reactions: Quibs

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Still running a couple of ATV2 and 3's mainly due to the fact I have quite a bit of iTunes content. I've read nothing but negative comments about ATV 4 so no inclination to upgrade.

For me there doesn't seem to be a killer feature and the price is prohibitive for what it does.

Here in the U.K. We have a lot less content do that doesn't help either.

pepowsky

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Mallorca, Spain.
Any news on when Amazon Prime will be available? How can it possibly take so long to launch a regular Apple TV app?
Hopefully, it will offer Universal Search from day one. I don't see Plex joining Universal Search, too good to be true.
And HBO (Spain) should be there already…

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Last night, I said "Play Jungle Book", and it let me watch a preview. When I went to play it, it said *Open in Netflix" for the first time ever. Usually, it says "Buy", or "Open in iTunes" where it just tells me to buy it again.

It was the first time Siri ever seemed to spot something on Netflix. Usually, it hasn't known about my purchased movies, and certainly knows nothing at all about anything in my own iTunes library. So, someone is making improvements.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
The Apple TV needs a complete overhaul. Hardware, software...everything. These minor additions are almost frustrating when the foundation is crumbling.

Drzed

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
You are not the only one who asks this. I am curious.... do the other set top boxes offer that other than with third party apps?

Yes they do. For example Android TV has been offering local app search for some time. You can search inside Plex, YouTube and even Kodi (through its SPMC variant, coming to general Kodi in next major version) and it works really well.

It's so cool to see voice search find all your local content. Then I go back to using my Apple TV and have to wait for years for these ******** tiny updates every few months that slowly add more providers (with 90% usually USA only!). Ssome like Plex will probably never get it, as mentioned by their developers,as they can't do cloud based searching as Apple supports as every user has a unique catalogue unlike a streaming service where everyone in a region has the identical catalogue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.