Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I agree that they won't likely add a DVR in the ATV because it would break the iTMS purchase model, but I do think they might someday work with El Gato to make an official DVR add-on device. They'd likely get some sort of licensing/profit share out of it, and being an add on it wouldn't have a huge market, and only the people who were not buying much iTMS content to begin with would probably buy it.

I hope they update so it pushed the price of the old ones down. I just want a box to do DVD rip streaming to my TV, and maybe downloaded 720p HDTV recordings (so I can get my wife off cable :p).

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'd just be happy if it worked like an iPod hooked up to a television. The lack of playlists is a real killer right now. I sometimes like to have a full season of a show or a custom video playlist going on my computer so the episodes/videos keep on going. Can't do that on the ATV. Why? Heck if I know.

It is a good device for watching a bazillion things without needing to hunt for discs. But the lack of playlists kills a huge benefit of digital video, and the lack of any Blu-ray support on Macs hinders me from giving a bunch of videos the HandBrake treatment.

screwforeignoil

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Yokosuka, Japan
Getting wives off cable

I agree that they won't likely add a DVR in the ATV because it would break the iTMS purchase model, but I do think they might someday work with El Gato to make an official DVR add-on device. They'd likely get some sort of licensing/profit share out of it, and being an add on it wouldn't have a huge market, and only the people who were not buying much iTMS content to begin with would probably buy it.

I hope they update so it pushed the price of the old ones down. I just want a box to do DVD rip streaming to my TV, and maybe downloaded 720p HDTV recordings (so I can get my wife off cable :p).

I too want to break the cable habit. The commercials are costing me a fortune! The updates that I would like should be able to come in a software update.
1. Sleep function - Keep the case under boiling temperature and save some energy. Apple is a leader in making their computers energy efficient, but the Apple TV stands out as being one of my hottest components.
2. Miro compatability. We have YouTube, why not Miro?
3. Wireless keyboard compatability
4. Automatic access to network attached storage. All movies, music, tv should be in one collective "cloud" on the home network.
5. More availability of HD programming. We have the technology, why isn't everything HD?
6. Home movie sharing integrated with imovie. Similar to YouTube, but without all the ads and better resolution.
7. Simple downloadable games. Could it receive signal from Wii controllers? I love Wii, but lament its lack of HD. This might be a fantistic opportunity.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
How is it an iPod? Because it supports iTunes? Does that mean my G5 is an iPod? And my Powerbook? My crappy old Acer PC notebook has iTunes too...another iPod? Wow, I have a lot of iPods.

Apple even considers it basically an iPod. It is listed under their "iPod/iTunes" section of their website. It is basically an iPod. Hopefully it will get a long overdue update.

Jungle

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
Do you think that there will be an Apple TV update on Tuesday. After all, the Apple TV is an iPod, and this is an iPod event, so isn't this possible? What do you think features will be? Finally 1080P?? More storage space?? What do you think?

I do hope that there's an update - I suspect a monor one will come out for iTunes 8 but as to the new features....

OK - here's an easy one; integrate the BBC iPlayer with Apple TV. We know that this has been planned for months (it's even on the BBC blog) and I can access iPlayer on my Wii so why not Apple TV?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How is it an iPod? Because it supports iTunes? Does that mean my G5 is an iPod? And my Powerbook? My crappy old Acer PC notebook has iTunes too...another iPod? Wow, I have a lot of iPods.

Others have commented that it is an iPod because Apple says so.

Another reason though is that it is a "dumb" (almost useless) device without the link to iTunes (unlike your G5 and Acer, which can do many things without even having iTunes installed on them). iPods, iPhones and :apple:TV all have a very strong dependency on the iTunes link to remain functional & useful. Yes, you can disconnect them for a long time and still use them, but sooner or later you want to freshen up the content, update the software, etc- all of which requires- at least for the mainstream public- re-establishing the link to iTunes.

I clearly see :apple:TV as a "fattest" iPod without a built-in screen (a super-charged shuffle+ if you will). Not only does it share a fair amount of basic functionality with iPods, but it is relatively portable (you can load up a bunch of content on it's hard drive and take it with you, enjoying that content "on the road" as long as you can find the right TV/audio connections.). Maybe Apple should put a screen on top of it and make it the big-screen touch product that some seem to be wanting?

Better still, put the screen on the bottom, so that we could still cook jiffy-pop popcorn on the top, maintaining something even closer to the movie theater experience.;)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Better still, put the screen on the bottom, so that we could still cook jiffy-pop popcorn on the top, maintaining something even closer to the movie theater experience.;)

Nice jiffy-pop reference.;)

I'm going to the grocery store tonight and I'll have to get a bag! (it's not a bag but I don't know what you'd call it):D

Maybe I'll also go to the apple store and get an :apple:TV if they make it worth my while...:cool:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I too want to break the cable habit. The commercials are costing me a fortune! The updates that I would like should be able to come in a software update.
1. Sleep function - Keep the case under boiling temperature and save some energy. Apple is a leader in making their computers energy efficient, but the Apple TV stands out as being one of my hottest components.
2. Miro compatability. We have YouTube, why not Miro?
3. Wireless keyboard compatability
4. Automatic access to network attached storage. All movies, music, tv should be in one collective "cloud" on the home network.
5. More availability of HD programming. We have the technology, why isn't everything HD?
6. Home movie sharing integrated with imovie. Similar to YouTube, but without all the ads and better resolution.
7. Simple downloadable games. Could it receive signal from Wii controllers? I love Wii, but lament its lack of HD. This might be a fantistic opportunity.

I'm not sure hooking it up to a Wii controller as an "official" accessory would work. There's surely some licensing issue with that, and I doubt Nintendo would appreciate it. A new Apple Remote which is just a bit bigger that the current one that adds a couple accelerometers and connects via BT rather than IR, and maybe some extra buttons/rearrange the buttons a bit would do nicely. Put it in the box with all new ATVs and sell it fro $25 or something to current ATV owners.

I think you could set up a "cloud" of media but it would still have to pass through iTunes on your computer, so not quite what you are talking about I think.

All HD would be nice, but problems with it would be added expense, larger//longer downloads, and it's overkill for iPods which are probably the majority of the devices downloading media still.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Last thoughts before the event.

iTunes 8 is all but confirmed for "Let's Rock". Due to :apple:TV's strong connection to iTunes, we'll no doubt see at least a minor firmware update... hopefully with some new stuff.

Last minute predictions:

YouTube Live
I'm going to go with the strong possibility of a YouTube enhancement, likely YouTube Live which is confirmed to launch this year.
Considering CNN's strong connection to YouTube lately – such as the YouTube political debates earlier this year – I wouldn't be surprised to see CNN pioneer a live YouTube news feed or something of the sort.

Movie & TV Subscription
Music subscription makes little sense in the Apple iTunes model because people want to own music. At 99¢ a song, it is also quite affordable.
Movies and TV shows on the other hand are often viewed once which is why rentals work well in iTunes. Considering the higher price of video, the necessary large storage space movies require, and the little archival value of video, it would make perfect sense for video to be offered in a subscription service.

Now... let's rock!

P.S.
By the way, :apple:TV is an iPod for your TV. It mirrors what is in your iTunes collection exactly how iPod does, and enables you to listen and watch that content away from your computer. In fact, I think they should have called it iPodTV. It still might end up getting that moniker once it gets out of "hobby" status and into the mainstream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.