Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the early criticisms of the Apple TV was that it was unable to purchase content without the use of iTunes on a Mac or PC.

We don't have any solid rumor-intelligence to claim that direct-purchasing from the iTunes store will indeed be added to the Apple TV, and in general dislike speculation in our articles at MacRumors. However, in this case the evidence seems to be clearly adding up to a future software update to Apple TV.

The advent of the WiFi iTunes Store on the iPod touch and soon for the iPhone is perhaps the single largest piece of evidence indicative of Apple's intentions. Also, users will remember Apple TV's 1.1 update contains a curious iTunes Store setting:

AppleTVStore_400.jpg

The setting appears to have little effect currently, leading to further the idea that the menu is meant for future purposes.

Note: While we were writing this story, LoopRumors posted claiming to have received word from "reliable" sources that just such an update is coming.

Article Link

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Why would you need to download songs and what not to your AppleTV when the idea if that AppleTV is connected to your HOME network so if your at HOME why not download music on your HOME computer then stream to AppleTV?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Why would you need to download songs and what not to your AppleTV when the idea if that AppleTV is connected to your HOME network so if your at HOME why not download music on your HOME computer then stream to AppleTV?

Because soon you will be able to sync "purchases" back to your computer like you will be able to do with the iPod touch and iPhone via the new WiFi Store;)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000

I'd say it's for movies and tv shows more than music. Think about it. You're on the couch, already super lazy with your one hand all greased up from chips. Do you really want to wash your hands, go to the computer, open the iTS, search for what you want to buy, buy it, download it, and then re-sync your ATV? No. You're lazy and you want it now, so you click Buy on your ATV and the download starts immediately and it'll start playing once enough content is available.

Makes perfect sense to me :)

Because soon you will be able to sync "purchases" back to your computer like you will be able to do with the iPod touch and iPhone via the new WiFi Store;)

Actually that feature already exists. if you sync content to your iPod, then delete the content from your computer, and then later re-sync, iTunes will ask if you want to transfer that content back to your computer (I think it only works with purchased content though).

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
I'd say it's for movies and tv shows more than music.
Exactly. Like flipping channels, or ordering on-demand content.

I thought of this almost immediately when they announced the iTunes Store app for iPhone and iPod touch. It's quite logical this would extend to the Apple TV.

bob_the_gorilla

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2004
Derby, UK
Surely that setting is something to do with which movie trailers or top tens or something are shown? I'm sure it's now perfectly possible to put the store on the ATV, but unless they do something genius-level the interface would be seriously sub par.

Dreyfus

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2005
Frankfurt am Main / Germany
That fits perfectly well with the "rented movie" error codes recently discovered in iTunes 7.4 :cool: Rent a movie from the iTunes store and watch it immediately without syncing first!

One speculation to be added though :D - The dubious USB port "for maintenance" could easily accept an Elgato TV-tuner/decoder (it is only a question when, not if :apple: buys them) - and you would have phase one of an all-in-one home theatre solution. Remember how S.J. touted the iPhone the "3rd leg" of Apple's business? Now in phase two, just put the Apple TV, the Elgato receiver and software in one case, add a screen - the new iMac has a TV-like design and screen already - and here it is, home theatre, TV set, PVR, jukebox, music and movie rental interface... in an all in one world, this should be Apple's fourth leg... and people will pay for every single step along the way :eek:

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
It would be a nice convienence. Especially since the iPhone and iPod Touch have it.

One thing: It's called the Wifi Music store

Why not edge for the iPhone? Why only music?

I really can not wait for the iTunes store to have HD content: then, I believe, a wifi iTunes store (not just music) will come.

-=|Mgkwho

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Please include rentals for TV shows and Movies, with an :apple:TV or iPod

I have purchased a handful of both and now realize that I only watch them only once. At lest with DVD I can sell them on eBay or stuff them in the closet, but with iTunes they just take up 5GB+ of my hard drive.

Curtis72

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Simple...

It would be a nice convienence. Especially since the iPhone and iPod Touch have it.

One thing: It's called the Wifi Music store

Why not edge for the iPhone? Why only music?

I really can not wait for the iTunes store to have HD content: then, I believe, a wifi iTunes store (not just music) will come.

-=|Mgkwho

Because Edge is slow and movie downloads take a long time (for me, it took approx. 3 hrs on my Road Runner High Speed Internet connection to download one movie). TV shows take around 15 to 30 minutes on my Road Runner service.

pinksatin

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
columbus.ohio
Please give us iTunes Movie rentals

I have to say that movie rentals would be wonderful on an :apple:tv... I would rather be an apple customer any day than an Time-Warner customer with their movies-on-demand and over priced cable service...

This would be one of the final steps to having my life totally integrated with beautiful apple products... :)

How could apple start to compete with basic cable services?

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
The AppleTV isn't on the Buyer's Guide (for shame!), but it might be the product that has gone the longest without an update at the moment (though the Mac Pro is up there as well). Here's hoping it gets an update at Macworld Paris.

macklos

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Apple definetly needs to add this feature to the aTV. It would make it a more usable device. The next two things though are much more important to me. HD, at least 720p, and DolbyDigital/DTS.
HD content could be doable if only the u.s. isp's would get their act together and give us the bandwidth that europe/asia has.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
Of course they will add this feature, and as other indicate it would be more useful for movies/TV content, in this way the :apple:TV will start to make more sense and become what it should be, a music/video delivery system.

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Surely that setting is something to do with which movie trailers or top tens or something are shown? I'm sure it's now perfectly possible to put the store on the ATV, but unless they do something genius-level the interface would be seriously sub par.

You are correct, the setting does indeed affect the content that is shown on the Movie and TV menus. If you leave it on the USA setting you get to see the USA Movie and TV Top Tens, etc. If you change it to your county then they dissapear or you get county specific ones (if they exist).

I do think that you will be able to do purchases direct from the Apple TV though and we will get that in the next update. It does make sense to make it easier to purchase Movies and TV shows right from the sofa.

I think the interface will be like the one used for YouTube, it's not ideal but it does seem to work quickly. Maybe we will get Top Tens by Genre, etc like the iPod touch store has.

Also if we have 'Movie' rentals coming soon, then this again makes more sense from the Apple TV rather than just from the Mac.

Ian

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
It would be the only thing keeping the AppleTV from being completely worthless.

I might only slightly hate my AppleTV after that.

I'm curious why you bought it in the first place. All the features were known before hand. Sounds like sour grapes because you didn't bother to research a device before you bought it.

iBookie

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2006
Apple needs to do something

I seriously considered getting the Apple TV, but for me it's just useless.

I already have an XBox 360 and the sad truth is movie downloads are pretty well executed through XBox live. The HD quality is really good and I have access to most movies within five minutes of ordering them. Beats the heck out of going down the street to rent a lower res DVD. Though I have to admit the selection is not great. Paired with a Media Center PC, which is all I use my PC for these days, it makes for a nice DVR.

I'm really hoping Apple adds an external cable card tuner with full DVR capability. That would be the perfect solution for adding TV content. I think the only reason they haven't offered anything like this because they're trying to sell content though iTunes. But if NBC is going to bail why not give the people what they want? Free recorded content. A DVR add-on and HD movie downloads would make the Apple TV worth the purchase for me.

outlyer

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
I'm really hoping Apple adds an external cable card tuner with full DVR capability. That would be the perfect solution for adding TV content. I think the only reason they haven't offered anything like this because they're trying to sell content though iTunes. But if NBC is going to bail why not give the people what they want? Free recorded content. A DVR add-on and HD movie downloads would make the Apple TV worth the purchase for me.

I doubt DVR is ever going to happen. First of all, most cable companies offer it now, second, it's difficult if not impossible to make a cheap box that complies with the HD requirements for different regions. Right now, the :apple:TV will work anywhere with just a different power cord. To accomodate multiple regions, you'd need to support CableCard (USA), DVB (Europe), multiple NTSC and PAL standards, programming guides, etc. To manage that, you'd have to pay more than $300 and your cable company probably offers a DVR for $5 a month.

If you want a DVR, just get an EyeTV and hook it up to your Mac.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
While it would be great I think that there are a lot of challenges for Apple. Remember the battle to get contracts with all the various record companies in the various European countries? That would have to be done all over again with TV networks and/or production companies.

I don't think that the regional systems would be that much of a problem. I can stick a DVD from Australia in my PB and watch it without a problem, then stick in a US DVD and run it without a problem. (Aussie DVDs are The Wiggles for the grandkids :) )

We'll see what happens. It would be nice if fans of The Office could watch the original UK version. What would be exceptionally great, though, is if we could eventually watch live TV from other countries - especially the news as I have a niece in Australia that does the news there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.