Apple TV v. Roku HD v. something else?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jason2811, Sep 1, 2010.

  1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

    May 8, 2006
    I was going to purchase a Roku HD ($70) this week. I haven't had cable for a year and I've been fine. I'd say 75% of my media viewing comes from Netflix. The other 25% comes from streaming new shows on Megavideo or watching shows on HULU or TV company sites (ABC, NBC, etc.). I've done all this on my computer but now I want to do this through my TV. I also want the ability to rent new releases digitally right when they're released on DVD instead of going to Blockbuster. I NEVER purchase movies and have no interest in doing so. Which is a better option for me? New Apple TV or Roku HD or something else?

    Looking for:
    Netflix integration
    rental ability
    ability to watch Hulu, Megavideo, TV shows from ABC, NBC, etc.
    (not necessary but would be nice)
  2. Ein2015 macrumors newbie

    Aug 30, 2010
    I'd bet Roku HD would solve your needs (and is cheaper than iTV)... Roku HD-XR is the same price as iTV and has wireless N (instead of G).

    Just consider the iTunes TV/movies stuff and find out if it's important to you. If not, I'd say go for a Roku.
  3. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

    Jul 31, 2005
    The Boxee Box should be out soon, great variety of streaming content.

    To be honest i'd be more enthusiastic if the AppleTV opened up it's internet content to other providers.

    Aside from that... most streaming boxes are pretty weak, good format support crippled by terrible UIs and a neglect of metadata.
  4. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 8, 2006
    I want to be able to rent new releases though. Is this possible on Roku? It's what is drawing me to the Apple TV since I never buy DVDs and always rent.
  5. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

    Dec 17, 2007
    You can rent or purchase new releases with Roku via Amazon Video On Demand.
  6. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 8, 2006

    I assume Roku HD does not have storage capabilities. So where do the movies that I purchase from Amazon get stored?
  7. brianfast macrumors regular

    Jun 11, 2010
    Amazon's servers.

    And I believe the AppleTV does have wireless-n.
  8. soup4you2 macrumors regular

    Apr 12, 2007
    I'm using a Mac mini running Plex, Love the setup! you can't beat it.. completely blows AppleTV and Roku away..

Share This Page