Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
Hi All. I've been scouring the web and I cannot find a solution to my quandary. I can pair my FIOS remote with my Apple TV (2nd Gen) and it works. However, it keeps on registering key presses even if I'm not on my Apple TV input, i.e. watching regular TV, etc. What the Remote setup screen (on my AppleTV) say is "Choose an Unused Device Setting" on your other remote. Does anyone know how to achiever this, or is it a fool's errand? Thanks!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I am not sure what you are saying. Are you using the FiOS remote on the ATV2? Are you also using those same buttons programmed for your ATV2 on your FiOS STB? And you want the ATV2 to stop recognizing those button presses when you are not on your ATV input?

I do not think there is a way to do that with the FiOS remote unless you totally turn off the ATV.
I could be wrong.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
"an unused device" means program the remote for a device you don't have.
If you used the same buttons that you use to control the box, then those aren't unused.

pick something like a DVD player, any brand will do, as long as you don't have one.
you'll have to check the remote's manual to figure out how to add another device.

jfreed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
New York
I am not sure what you are saying. Are you using the FiOS remote on the ATV2? Are you also using those same buttons programmed for your ATV2 on your FiOS STB? And you want the ATV2 to stop recognizing those button presses when you are not on your ATV input?

I do not think there is a way to do that with the FiOS remote unless you totally turn off the ATV.
I could be wrong.

Yeah. That's what it seems I need to do. It's not a big deal - I'm just trying to minimize the amount of remotes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.