Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, if I was to connect an Apple TV to my AVR, can I then use airplay to play music from my phone via speakers connected to my AVR? My AVR is an Onkyo 3010 which doesn't have native Airplay.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Yes, you'll see "Apple TV" in the list of airplay mirroring options on your phone when it's all set up correctly.
Thanks ms Casey. I'm assuming I setup apple TV in the same was as any other av item. Connect apple TV to my avr via hdmi. Then the usual avr to TV via hdmi. Would I need to turn my TV on to airplay?

Multi Sport Guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2017
I use both the latest generation 4 Apple TV and a gen 2. The earlier generations are great if you just want to stream music. It has a TOSLINK out, giving you more options than just HDMI. That will save you some $$ and is great if you are repurposing an older receiver without HDMI :). There is no need to have, or turn on your TV to just stream music to you Audio system. Monoprice.com sells some cheap, but good quality, AV converters. I needed to convert the optical TOSLINK to digital on one receiver, and RCA on another older one. Extracting just audio from HDMI is more expensive, but possible. Of coarse, if you have HDMI in, you are good to go, no TV required. Good luck.

Casey Royals

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks ms Casey. I'm assuming I setup apple TV in the same was as any other av item. Connect apple TV to my avr via hdmi. Then the usual avr to TV via hdmi. Would I need to turn my TV on to airplay?

Yes, that's how to connect it together but (I'm pretty sure) you need to connect to Apple TV by wifi though for Airplay, not sure if you can do it by Bluetooth.

Reactions: scouser75

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
You won't have to turn the TV on as long as the AVR is turned on and you have chosen the correct HDMI input that the ATV was connected to.

Flat Six

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
You may want to check the settings of the Apple TV though. I don't know what the original settings is, but it is possible that by turning on the Apple TV your tv also will be turned on. You don't want that. It's also possible that you can control the volume of the receiver with the Apple remote. You do want that. You can find these settings under settings, remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.