Apple TV vs AirPort Express Base Station

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jturn00, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jturn00 macrumors member

When I buy a new (and my first Mac) I was also going to get the AirPort Express Base Station to stream music to my Stereo. Do you think it is worth it to get the 40GB Apple TV to play music instead? Is it possible to stream music from itunes to the apple tv? The apple tv has wireless N which would work with my Airport Extreme N base station and possibly provide a higher quality and faster stream of music?

Jeff

2. agwilson macrumors newbie

Jeff,
    If all your doing is streaming music I would say go with the AirPort Express (AE) since it will be much cheaper. The AE only has a stereo connection though, but it does also act as a wireless to wired bridge with its ethernet port. The express will connect to an Airport Extreme N Base Station using the G speed but that will be fine for music streaming.

As to the AppleTV it does allow you to use it like an AirPort Express by having iTunes stream music to it. The AppleTV also allows you to load all the music onto it and then have it play with the computer off. Your interface will be a TV and a remote. There are other advantages to an AppleTV and you can check out the AppleTV forums for a guide to them. Some of these are the ability to rent movies, watch video from your iTunes, watch podcasts, watch YouTube, and to see Photos on your TV. These are all considerations to make when you look at purchasing one of the two devices.

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

The Airport Express has a stereo and optical audio outputs and it allows you to use it as a wireless print server by connecting a USB printer to it. However, you won't be able to skip or pause music in your living room if your computer is running in another room. Of course, no movie, video podcast, photo viewing or YouTube capability.

AppleTV allows streaming through Airtunes, as well. It also lets you have some basic controls such as skip, pause and (I think) fast forward in Airtunes mode. Of course, it costs a little more than double the price of AppleTV.