apple tv vs hdmi to macbook pro

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jesusplay, Mar 30, 2013.

1. jesusplay, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I currently watch bluray rips on my tv through my macbook connected via hdmi.

To do this i have to leave my macbook under my tv like a desktop.

If I were to purchase a apple tv and air play, would It be the same quality as being the macbook being directly connected to the tv via hdmi vs hdmi to apple to tv via mirroring macbook?

I'm asking because I see the apple tv has no video card.

also does sound go through mirroring?

Please and thank you.

2. MFL2012 macrumors member

Mirroring works fine, to get audio turn on mirroring before you start your movie. I would suggest converting your rips via Handbrake and Airplaying through iTunes.

3. linds15 macrumors 6502a

id go with these option too, if you set it up to run through all your files for several nights, you'll be set going forward

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you will see a definite quality loss using airplay mirroring, compared to what you see when you plug in directly via HDMI. in my experience it tends to be a bit jerky.

playing via home sharing from itunes, will look fine, but you will have to convert your files for them to work. which will take time, and if you want to keep the full rips, then extra drive space. The converted files on their own will be smaller though.
    you can use handbrake, into the aTV3 preset, files will still be 1080, and very good quality. on my macbook pro (2.3Ghz quad) it takes about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time of the movie to convert it.
    or as long as it has compatible audio, you might be able to just remux the file, as blu-rays are already in h.264, which should take maybe 10-15 minutes, and no loss of video quality.

the aTV has a hardware h.264 decoder, so it can playback files with little to no effort, as it's designed to do just that, and only that. as opposed to other solutions which run via software.

there are other options like beamer, but i personally have no experience with that.

5. mohawkapple macrumors member

mohawkapple

mac to tv with hdmi cable and no picture on tv?

i just bought a hdmi cable for my macbook pro and hooked it up to my tv to watch something i had downloaded earlier and theres no picture or anything on my tv!
    my tv says (no video signal) what am i doing wrong?
    thanks

6. mic j macrumors 68030

Probably need to go to System Preferences and set it to Detect Displays.