Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NAPABFH

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2014
I quit using my Apple TV 3 I haven't used it in probably over a year it just sits there on the Shelf now

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So how does Apple TV stand out.I've been debating getting one, as I have a blue ray player that has netflix, hulu and other apps on it... I'm also looking to purchase a 4K Television pretty soon.. So I'm wondering if it's even worth it to get APPLE TV...? I'd like to see what apps are available about it and I'd like to know how it stands out from a Smart TV or Blue Ray Player... What does it have that a Smart TV doesn't?

I would say anything external is always going to be better than the integrated stuff (e.g apps not updated as often for example)... particularly the GUI of some smart TV's are terrible to even navigate.

Also, as @Rigby points out you can also "scrub" through the video by pressing the play/pause button then running a finger back and forth across the track pad of the remote.

Sometimes i like to do this just for fun... :D

snowtrooper1966

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Clarksburg, WV
So how does Apple TV stand out.I've been debating getting one, as I have a blue ray player that has netflix, hulu and other apps on it... I'm also looking to purchase a 4K Television pretty soon.. So I'm wondering if it's even worth it to get APPLE TV...? I'd like to see what apps are available about it and I'd like to know how it stands out from a Smart TV or Blue Ray Player... What does it have that a Smart TV doesn't?

I've got a 65" Sony XBR 4K tv, an Oppo 4K disk player and the latest 64GB Apple TV 4 and subscribe to Dish Network.
4K content is extremely limited on Dish, so at the moment, we must use the Oppo disk player or the native Netflix app on the Sony for UHD content.
I will be 1st in line for the 4K Apple TV so I can ditch the clunky Android based GUI I'm forced to use to access Netflix thru my Sony.
We also have an extensive collection of purchased media through iTunes, so that hopefully will open up more 4K options, as well as what's will be available through other apps as well as the coming partnership with Amazon Prime and their UHD library.
Here's hoping it's a fairly painless/inexpensive process to convert our existing iTunes film/TV library to available 4K alternatives....

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
From what I understand, 4K content is limited, period. It could take a while before that changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.