Apple TV vs ???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rockitdog, Jun 10, 2015.

1. rockitdog Suspended

I'm finally cutting the cord to DirecTV. I'm confused about all of the various streamers available out there. What separates Apple TV from Roku or other competition?

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Apple TV hardware is 3 years old and is very limited in what you can do.

IMO just get a ROKU unless you have lots invested into Itunes and you want mirror play.

3. chris566 macrumors regular

I highly recommend an Amazon Fire Stick for 40 bucks. Tons of content. But then I sideloaded with Kodi/XBMC and was amazed by how much media content is available there at no extra charge. I can AirPlay audio to it from my iPhone too. My Apple TV was sold after three days of owning a Fire Stick.

4. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I second the Amazon Fire Stick. Great device and if you have any interest in Sling TV, you can get a free Fire Stick with a three month commitment.

5. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    OP, your question is too broad. They all have merit and/or shortcomings. What's important to you (what do you want to try to replace since you are quitting DirecTV)? What are your wishes out of a streaming box? Is there a list of favorite shows or channels?

Get more specific and you can get some good input. Otherwise, we can make passionate cases for any of them... as well as passionately bash any of them as practically worthless.

6. rockitdog thread starter Suspended

Well, that's my problem is that I don't really know much about any of them. They all seem to do the same thing for the most part but what sets them apart? It's a broad question because I'm just learning about them.

7. HobeSoundDarryl, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Then simplify. Today you are losing DirecTV. What will you miss? If you can specifically identify what you will miss, you'll basically be making a list of shows or channels you'd still like to have. That might point more toward one streaming box than the others.

If you can't offer some specific like that, this thread will become a popularity content: "I like this box" which is only revolving around "my" needs and not necessarily yours.

Cord cutting is often about trying to still get whatever you like without paying a satt or cable company. The various streaming options have some unique strengths for cord cutters. So if you identify what you'll miss, you might narrow the choices down from any of them to a specific one or two... which seems to be what you are after.

8. ugru macrumors 6502

ugru

Intel NUC or Raspberry Pi (if you want to pay less) + OpenELEC.

Steep learning curve but worth the effort...

9. morningsong macrumors member

morningsong

I've got 2 AppTV 2s, Amazon Fire Stick and recently got a Roku stick with a TV I bought.

The Amazon stick buffers and stutters on playback too much for me.

Love my Apple TVs, have had them for years, but you're limited to what Apple lets you put on there if you don't want to get into the whole jailbreak thing.

The recent addition of the Roku stick has been great. They have a lot more options...added PLEX (free!)...and all of the same services as Apple TV. One great addition is the CBS streaming service, love it, Apple needs to add it. The one drawback with the Roku stick I received is it needs an MHL powered HDMI port to work. Only the TV I bought for bedroom has that. It won't work on any of the other sets in my house or at work. Not so good for a portable device.

I may look into Roku's other product offerings...always on the lookout for the perfect device!

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Agreed. He/she needs to tell us his/her needs before we recommend something.

11. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

The New versions of the roku stick aren't MHL

12. morningsong macrumors member

morningsong

Thanks Scarpad. Good to know.
    Mine was a throw in with my set, didn't even know it was in there.
    Would definitely look into picking one up.

13. ozaz macrumors 65816

Do you want Airplay? Do you want access to iTunes store or iTunes libraries?

If the answer to these questions are no, there's not much point considering the Apple TV as the other streamers are better in other aspects (particularly content availability).

If the answer to those questions is yes, you have a trade-off decision to make, as these are features not available with other streamers.

14. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

About the same time I purchased my second ATV3, I also bought a Roku XD (older product.) The Roku HAS to be the slowest device I ever used, and it crashes a lot if I have been watching a while. I love the ATVs, but like Roku's selections. Personally, I think you'll enjoy any of them you buy. I have a lot of fun with both my ATV3s and my Roku. I may update both when they update the ATV.

15. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

You can run Amazon Instant Video/Prime just through your Smart TV. If people discuss Apple TVs use, the same surely counts for the Fire stick. My opinion.