Apple TV: Wait or Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iheijoushin, Mar 23, 2009.

1. iheijoushin macrumors newbie

iheijoushin

What's the consensus on buying an Apple TV? Other than the nVidia Ion rumors I haven't heard much of anything with regards to the future of this device or about the supposed Take 3 software update.

I am in no rush, but think the current Hard Drive sizes available are a bit weak.

Also, I notice the AppleTV is sorely missing from the Buyer's Guide available here on MacRumors.com. This should be rectified! :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? There has been one release. There is no precedent, and therefore there is nothing on which we can gauge new release dates.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Don't buy and only consider it if they cut to less than half of what it is now, or Apple upgrades it to something worthwhile.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I was able to hardware hack a 1TB external drive onto mine with very minimal fuss - it makes all the difference in usability.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, I wouldn't spend apple prices on something His Steveness describes as 'a hobby'. How badly do you want to play iTunes on your TV? I'd almost rather pick up an old g4 mac mini for cheap and mod it to do the same thing.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If you can wait, why not? It's been over 2 years since the :apple: tv has seen any hardware refreshes, and over a year without a major software upgrade.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Don't buy. Get a PlayStation 3 instead. Not only does it have a video store just like Apple TV but it can play Blu Ray movies and copy all of your movies from your computer just fine.

9. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

I elected to do that instead. Why pay big bucks on a what apple coins a hobby? If you must use a mac, get a refurb or used mac mini

10. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

I've got to add another vote in the PS3 column. It's just so much more functional. Nothing beats PS3 + an LCD or Plasma + VPN.

11. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I have an Apple TV. I think it definitely needs some work and the addition of some features.

I rarely use the store for movies and only use it for TV shows on occasion.

I have a movie collection of around 40 movies that I have on an external, streaming.

Airtunes is irreplaceable for me, but an express can do the same, which I also had.

I wouldn't go as far to say I regret my purchase, but I would definitely highly consider going the PS3 route, if it has the same streaming capabilities. But its a matter of preference. Compare the features and prices. Blueray is HUGE, and PS3 has a somewhat subsidized price, considering they make money on accessories and games.

Edit: I guess Apple TV is subsidized also for itunes sales but I'm not noticing it.