Apple TV & WEP/WPA Security

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mikefarquharson, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mikefarquharson macrumors newbie

Can anybody help?

I have orange broadband with a Live Box which has WEP security set and I cannot get my Apple TV to connect. I can see the Live Box in the network settings of the Apple TV but when I enter the Key I just keep getting knocked back. I spoke to Orange who didnt know what Apple TV was so NO HELP THERE!!!!!!
    Mike

2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Does this help:

1. Are you using MAC filtering?

2. Apple TV cannot join networks that use high ASCII or double-byte characters in their name or password

Apple TV cannot connect to a wireless network that contains high (extended) ASCII or double-byte (Unicode) characters (such as Japanese, Korean, or Chinese) in their name or password. Use the configuration utility associated with your base station to remove these characters and replace them with ASCII characters listed below.

Use any of the following characters for the base station name or password:
    a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
    A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~

In addition to double-byte characters, don't use these high ASCII characters for the base station name or password:

For more information about ASCII and High ASCII, refer to these web pages:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/

3. mikefarquharson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

The only digits used in the WEP key are Letters and Numbers, no strange keys

Mike

4. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

A you using MAC filtering. If so you have to enter the MAC address of your AppleTV into your router.

5. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

Exactly, I had the same problem when I received my Apple TV and decided not to use the MAC filtering and it's working fine now :)

6. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

Don't decide against it. :) Just get the Apple TV's AirPort address from the bottom where its serial number is (actually, it might be on the side of the box).

That's what I did and it works perfectly!