Apple TV, Why should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AppleScruff1, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Serious question for Apple TV fans. Why should I get one? What do you like best about it? What are the pros and cons vs the competition. For the record, I know next to nothing about Apple TV and the competition. I have checked it out briefly at the Apple store and that's about it. I know it gets a lot of good comments here and I am interested in learning more. Thanks in advance.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I have 5, i tried the ATV4 but ended up returning it within a week.
    My main reason was due to problems streaming films/music from homeshare vs ATV3 having no issue.

I'm not seeing the apps i want, when the apps come out i'll look again, but saying that i can get most of the streaming things direct on the TV (Netflix/Amazon prime). I have no interest in using it for games and the system is a bit beta under the new software.

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I recommend you read about it on Apple.com.

The huge feature is the App Store and the developer community. Like on iOS, there is an App for that. Only going to get better.

Perfect for this in the iTunes Eco system.

My number one App is Live TV using the Channels App. Many will have their personal favorite. Best for you to fine yours.

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

You should try the Apple product page, or an internet search, limit your results to the last 4 months and try the term "apple tv review". There's so much information readily available, creating a blanket statement 'why?' topic at this point is a bit redundant... There aren't exactly a lot of products to compare it to -- just the Roku 4 and FireTV2. Is there a particular feature you're wondering about or is this you're first attempt at looking into your available options...? o_O

5. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

There's this pretty good 23minute tour and summation: Tested In-Depth: Apple TV (4th Generation)

I have an Apple TV 3 (most notably - no apps, meaning no Plex, and black background instead of white) and after watching that video the other day, I'm still just fine without updating for the time being.

6. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

The App Store. It is already fantastic and it is going to get better. I haven't had cable in 2 years and the ATV was a great addition this year after having the 3 for so long.

7. Easttime macrumors 6502

AirPlay. Just had a blast with friends and family watching photos on the big TV screen from my iPhone, and YouTube videos.

8. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Traditionally, the main reason to have an Apple TV was to be able to play anything located in your Mac's iTunes library on your TV – a big deal for some people. Eventually, it began to support AirPlay from iPhones and iPads – either mirroring the screen or functioning as a second screen. Thirdly, it's had good implementations of services like Netflix.

The main addition to the new Apple TV is the App Store – developers have been able to make apps since the fall, and TV stations are more than welcome to join. I don't think this has flourished yet, but the way is paved, and we've seen a few interesting things so far.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Airplay sucks, thats a major shortcoming of the ATVs, googles method of direct streaming rather than indirect via a 3rd device.

10. jdag macrumors 6502a

Can you explain this point? Google's method, at least as far as Chromecast is concerns, is completely dependent on a 3rd device.

Also, Airplay does not suck, that is purely an opinion. IMO it works exceedingly well. I do have a very stable home network, so that certainly helps strengthen my opinion of Airplay.

11. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Google is point to point, you use the third device to select content - after that you can turn off the device no issues.
    You cant with Airplay.

The airplay is a bandwidth hog, its double transmission, router to laptop/ipad, iPad/laptop to ATV.
    The device can't do 4k, audio sync is terrible and thats being polite.

12. jdag macrumors 6502a

I am not sure what you mean by "turn off the device with no issues". For Airplay, you CAN use the initiating device for other purposes while Airplay continues to run, whether it is an audio stream or audio/video. Once you pass over control to Airplay, it is not directly using the initiating device to get the content.

Yes, Airplay cannot support 4k. However, that is not an Airplay deficiency, it is an AppleTV deficiency overall.

I've not experienced audio sync issues.

13. AFEPPL, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The reason it's called cast is because its an A to B or once the device has the information about what you want to play you don't need device C. You do with Airplay, yes you can use the device to do other things, but the third device is still re-streaming all the data to the ATV, so you basically need or consume double bandwidth. ATV3s are only N band too.. ATV4 are AC.

Audio sync is a major problem with ATV and is a frequent topic.
    You need ATVs hardware.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you ant a great review of the Apple TV 4th generation then look at this video. He covers some great free apps like VLC review on the Apple TV and Netflicks plus Hulu. So app's are really starting to come around! So any criticism just look like fan boy rants!

15. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Most objective current owners can provide a realist and objective view rather than a fanboy defensive rant about what might happen in the future or ignore existing short comings..

16. bluespark macrumors 65816

I would be surprised if many people share this view. I strongly disagree, and AirPlay is for me a feature that positively differentiates ATV from its competition. I use it all the time with no issues and can use it to stream things Google's method couldn't handle (home videos on my phone, for example).

17. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I have both, streaming videos to cast with no issues,;)
    Airplay and cast are the same in regards to that, the down side is airplay consumes 2x the bandwidth (A --> B --> C) and needs a 3rd device for things like netflix, youtube etc.

18. jdag macrumors 6502a

What on earth does "and needs a 3rd device for things like netflix, youtube etc." have to do with debating Airplay vs Chromecast? Those are native apps on the AppleTV, regardless of the version of the AppleTV, and the vast majority of people would use via a remote rather than via iPhone/iPad. With all due respect, you are bringing up points that are simply irrelevant or fringe cases (such as having a video running on your phone and AirPlaying it quickly to the TV without having to find it on the native app).

I am absolutely not going to argue that Airplay is perfect. Not a chance. It works very very well in my home, but I also have a pretty robust setup for a home user, with multiple routers, hardwired ATVs, etc. I am more the exception than the rule.

Just acknowledge that it is your opinion that AirPlay sucks and Chromecast is great. You will find many people that have the opposite opinion.

19. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

All my ATVs are hardwired, not sure what your point is - other than airplay is fat and bloated and doesn't work as well over wifi for many users.

Yes, some of those apps are available directly FROM the device, but thats not airplay now is it... The point is you are normally on a 3rd device and you want to "share" that content to someone be it youtube or anything else and airplay is the vehicle for that. When you do that same task on chomecast it's not using your 3rd device anymore it hands off or "casts" between just the two devices. The approach is different and as a technologist the google way just makes more sense.

A real example. This afternoon, typing on here as it turns out when one of the kids wants to watch the one world show from seaworld,youtube, find the video send the video to the ATV but its still using all three devices and taking up cpu and wifi from my rMBP. Do it on chrome (which i only have one and not in the room i was in at the time) and you cast and the laptop is totally free, its not used at all once the cast is started so no wifi issues regardless of "if" the ATV is hardware (which it is) or not as the airplay is from a wireless laptop. So wireless from the router to the MBP, then wireless back to the router then across a 1Gbe hardwired line from the route to the ATV.

This is why Audio sync is a real problem on airplay.
    Play the same clip direct from ATV on the native app and you don't see the same degree of Audio sync issues.

Im not saying buy Google over ATV, I'm simply saying the way cast does its stuff is much better than the way airplay works. It's a protocol 3way.

20. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I don't get why people AirPlay from apps that are available on the ATV??? Why not just use the native app?

Anyone know if Apple released a handoff API for tvOS?

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Not yet, it was one of the big asks...

Why? I cant speak for others - but for me, watching something maybe on youtube on the rMBP - just flick it onto an ATV either in the same room or elsewhere. This saves me having to find the remote to start up ATV, locate the app, find the video. its simply 1 click vs many.

22. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Ok I see. I use my ATV like I use my cable box. I pick the remote and watch. I don't have my phone/laptop/iPad near me.... I just use the remote.

23. Alrescha, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

Alrescha macrumors 68020

Even if all you had was your phone, Apple TV has been streaming iTunes content direct from iCloud since 2013. One cool thing is that this works even if you are visiting a friend with an Apple TV.

A.

(and of course, there's always the Remote app) :)

edited: I'm not sure what El Cap does atm

24. Rigby macrumors 601

Airplay has the capability to "hand off" video streams from an iOS device to the Apple TV provided that (1) the video is in the right format and (2) played from compatible web sources (HTTP Live Streaming or progressive download), and (3) the app is using the right APIs and doesn't opt out of Airplay. The system even supports exchanging encryption keys so the Apple TV can access protected video directly after the user has authenticated through the iOS app. You can easily verify this if you have a Wifi router with throughput counters.
    I have never experienced any audio sync problems with Airplay.

25. AFEPPL, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No ATV3 doesn't have hand off.
    Goto youtube, hit the icon, point it to your ATV of choice, wait for the video to start playing and then close your laptop - see what happens!!! it drops the video as soon as the lid is closed. I concede this is completely different if you use the in built app. This is Airplay.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.