Apple TV with a Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hartel, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Hartel macrumors newbie

I have a 1 TB Time Capsule and am looking to get an :apple:TV. Is it possible to have the :apple:TV sync to the Time Capsule (or attached External HD to the Time Capsule) and grab Video's and Music from that as opposed to storing them on the :apple:TV HD. If I can avoid spending 100 bucks for the 160GB :apple:TV it would be a great help.

2. coogee macrumors regular

Yes! The ATV will stream content from iTunes (has to be running). So it is just a case of adding content from a Network Drive (or Time Capsule) to iTunes, then accessing it this way.

I use XBMC on the ATV to access all my Network drives, highly preferable but means changing your ATV beyond Apple's narrow intended abilities.

I think the 160GB ATV is a waste of money. You are much better off in terms of $$$ storing your content elsewhere - even an External Drive plugged into your Mac.

my 2c :)

3. Hartel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man. I was just wondering. I already have all my iTunes backed up on my external connected to the Time Capsule, and then again through the Time Capsule itself, and I have AirTunes setup throughout my home. This will be a huge moneysaver.

You have my thanks.

/thread.