Apple TV with lcd monitor.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mikenguyen, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mikenguyen macrumors newbie

I just had a question. I have an LCD monitor which has dvi and vga ports and I was wondering if it was possible to setup the apple TV to work with the monitor. I noticed that the Apple TV uses HDMI. Is it possible to get it to work, or should I just buy an LCD TV with HDMI.

Thanks.

2. 3guk macrumors newbie

Remember though some LCD's do not support DVI-D some only have a DVI-A, whilst this is the same socket, the two are not compatible, I found this out the hard way, I wanted to convert the HDMI out to DVI for one of my mini LCDs but the mini LCDs only support DVI-A rendering that cable useless.

Just a warning !! :) :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It may also be worth exploring what exactly that LCD in question will do with HDTV resolutions, as they are not standard and are not going to match perfectly to the screen size. Should be fine using HDMI, but it seems like you cannot know for sure without finding someone who has firsthand experience.

4. DJS1234 macrumors regular

I'm thinking about this also, what I'd do is get an Apple TV, an LCD monitor and a VESA arm bracket and bracket the monitor to my hifi rack so the ATV would be like a visual CD-Player if you will. Also I'd like to be able to operate the ATV independently of my Plasma.

I've looked at some Dell 20" widescreen models such as the E207WFP but not sure if they support 720p as a native res or whether there will be black lines on the screen...

Shame as the Macbook I'm using would be perfect size and screen res!

Incidentally I'm not too interested in movies or photos just music and album art, I've already got an Airport Express but can easily find a home for that in my bedroom.

Don't know where I'd find out about 720p monitor compatitbility, any ideas anyone?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just out of curiosity... if the main aim for the screen is to support the :apple:tv at 720p, why do you want a monitor and not a 20" or so 1366x768 LCD TV that is intended to be used at 720p? It seems like the price premium is negligible, and you'll know it's meant for doing this.