Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Would something like this work well with an Apple TV? Or due to the resolution would it look terrible? What’s a good monitor in this size range for a Apple TV? Or should I get a small TV?

Might go Roku or Amazon TV Stick instead of Apple TV.

hanks

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Might go Roku or Amazon TV Stick instead of Apple TV.

Would any streaming box take advantage of that monitor's ultra-wide 2560x1080 resolution?

Or will it be pillarboxed with black bars on both sides?

I think streaming boxes expect to be plugged into a normal 16:9 screen... but I could be wrong.

Reactions: jjk454ss

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Would something like this work well with an Apple TV? Or due to the resolution would it look terrible? What’s a good monitor in this size range for a Apple TV? Or should I get a small TV?
It’s not a great fit. I plugged the Atv into LG’s 38” wide display and the thing pillarboxes a 3:4 frame inside it, then letterboxes a 16:9 frame inside that, for a video that’s about as big as i could watch it on an ipad. Apple even used to support their own 30” Apple Cinema displays, which were 16:10 and could be had cheap, with just a sliver of black to bring them to 16:9, but decided a year or so ago to “upgrade” us to a new OS that removed that resolution, breaking all functionality and blacking out the display completely, relegating perfectly good old displays to the trash. Then basic apps started getting removed, functionality started getting chopped out… the Atv is a short-lifespan product, like a computer, not long term like a tv component. also LG‘s mac drivers are notoriously bad with regard to audio connectivity. A constant hassle every time you turn it on. A 1950s tv was more reliable than all this fancy stuff.

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
It’s not a great fit. I plugged the Atv into LG’s 38” wide display and the thing pillarboxes a 3:4 frame inside it, then letterboxes a 16:9 frame inside that, for a video that’s about as big as i could watch it on an ipad. Apple even used to support their own 30” Apple Cinema displays, which were 16:10 and could be had cheap, with just a sliver of black to bring them to 16:9, but decided a year or so ago to “upgrade” us to a new OS that removed that resolution, breaking all functionality and blacking out the display completely, relegating perfectly good old displays to the trash. Then basic apps started getting removed, functionality started getting chopped out… the Atv is a short-lifespan product, like a computer, not long term like a tv component. also LG‘s mac drivers are notoriously bad with regard to audio connectivity. A constant hassle every time you turn it on. A 1950s tv was more reliable than all this fancy stuff.
That’s what I needed to know. Thank you

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
This must be a combination of things.
Apple TV outputs standard 16:9 HDTV formats : 720p, 1080p and 2160p. Would need to check, if it supports also SDTV formats in 4:3.
Now, how does a 21:9 (ultrawide) monitor display a 16:9 image, must be configured on that display. Apple TV does not have controls for that.
If you want to see it in original aspect ratio, then it needs to add vertical pillars on the sides.
It may be able to stretch the image to full screen.
This should work especially well, if you watch a 21:9 aspect Hollywood movie, then it should be able to stretch the image from edge to edge in both directions.
With other ratios image distortion is inevitable as the expansion in horizontal- and vertical directions is different.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Yeah, I tried using it with an Ultrawide monitor with a 3440 x 1440p resolution and the experience wasn't great. The audio workaround was especially annoying and I had vertical bars on the screen.

I took advantage of Apple's generous 2-week no-questions-asked return policy and I returned the Apple TV 4K during that time and got my full refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.