Apple TV without TV being on

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by waddle, Sep 15, 2011.

1. waddle macrumors newbie

I have an Apple TV but do not want my TV (really just my monitor if possible) to be on while I play my music from my Iphone. I also have a Bose system that is hooked up to my TV that the music flows through my TV to the Bose. Is there any way to get the Apple TV to play directly through the Bose or a way i make it so I don't have to have my TV on?

2. sandyjmacdonald macrumors 6502

Sounds like an Airport Express would be your best option. You can stream to this, via Airplay, with you iPhone and connect it straight to your Bose.

3. waddle thread starter macrumors newbie

So if this all I wanted to do and don't care about TV I kinda wasted my money on Apple TV huh? I just want to be able to play my Itunes AND Pandora thru my Bose. No TV. I have a Time Machine as well and that seems to do a lot of what the AirPort express does. Can i do what you suggest via the Time Capsule?

Why not combine Apple TV, Airport Express, and Time Capsule into one?

4. slothrob macrumors 6502

You can send music from your computer to the aTV2 using AirPlay, without turning on the TV. Alternately, with an iPhone or Touch, you can control the aTV2, with the TV off, and play whatever you want from your iTunes library.

5. Ventucky macrumors newbie

Ventucky

Does your TV have a sleep option for the screen? I have/had the same issue so I just put the screen to sleep when listening to music. I have a Sony Bravia TV that allows that functionality.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Exactly this, with Airplay (for 'pushing' content) and the Remote app (for 'pulling') it'll work great. It's not as if the AppleTV has great visualisers that you'd be missing.

The possible 'gotcha', there are some popups (such as the Resume/Start from the beginning" option with movies) which can appear on the TV. If you don't use a TV, you wouldn't see any similar popups and won't know you need to dismiss them.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Use the TV to navigate to the playlist or song you want to play first. Then, just turn off the TV. Easy.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Here's a thought - Does the ATV2's optical out port work when there is something connected to HDMI? If they're both active, root the ATV2 directly to the Bose via that port, and then Airplay without the TV :)

9. abthegreat macrumors regular

Airplay over optical will work without the TV being on. But HDMI will require the TV being on and HDCP communicating with each other.

10. waddle thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate all of the responses but currently the aTV2 is hard wired via HDMI to the TV so the TV has to be on. As far as the optical connection is concerned What kind of wire or attachement do I need to link this port with my Bose directly. I just don't understand the optical port but I think it the option that will work for me.

11. HobeSoundDarryl, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    To get an accurate answer waddle, you'll need to identify the specific Bose system you have and/or identify the names/types of all of the ports on the Bose box.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's a standard "optical audio" or "Toslink" connection. Obviously, check first if your Bose system has an optical input! ;)

13. gooberq macrumors member

14. osohardy macrumors member

it works perfectly fine to airplay pandora/itunes to ATV over HDMI too if you connect the HDMI via your receiver instead of direct to TV...

15. growlgrowl macrumors newbie

Sony Bravia screen sleep

I'm trying to find this option on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX301, can you tell me where I might find it?

Cheers

16. waddle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link and to the poster before you. I just ordered it. My bose does have an optical port.