Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joey56799

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Hi there

i have a new apple tv and a new imac, for some reason when i try to sync them apple tv wont show as a device in itunes.

i have read about firewalls etc but i think its something to do with the router but cannot figure it out.

could someone please help me

thank you

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Did you find a solution to your problem? Curious as I'm having the same problem. Just started to read this forum and this is the first post that refers to this. Got mine for Xmas and just tried to set it up. Internet connection is great; but cannot connect to Itunes on my Windows 7 machine. It's not the firewall as I have turned it of ( on windows 7 ); must be a setting in the wireless router.
Just curious how you made out! Will keep reading.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi there

i have a new apple tv and a new imac, for some reason when i try to sync them apple tv wont show as a device in itunes.

i have read about firewalls etc but i think its something to do with the router but cannot figure it out.

thank you

Hi
Not sure if this helps but I had a similar issue with ATV and I figured out it was my Norton settings. I turned off Firewall on my macbook and in Norton and that resolved it

Like I said not sure if it helps but that solved my problem

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Nope; that wasn't it as I had disabled my virus program as well as my firewall on both the computer and the router.

What did work!
I was thinking that maybe there was a setting somewhere in Windows 7 for sharing Itunes with AppleTV. When I right clicked the Itunes icon I noticed that there was a "Trouble shoot compatibility" item. I clicked this and the program suggested running in Windows XP mode for Itunes; which I did, and it connected right away.

Don't know if it is just me; but it appears that Itunes and AppleTv don't like Windows 7!!

Hope this helps other peeps that may have the same problem.

rogervzv

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi there

thank you

The problem is almost always a firewall. Totally shut the wretched thing off.

rogervzv

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Don't know if it is just me; but it appears that Itunes and AppleTv don't like Windows 7!!

Hope this helps other peeps that may have the same problem.

Absolutely not true. I am running both on two Windows 7 Pro/64 bit machines and everything works great; better than it did on Win XP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.