Apple TV won't update...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jordancrombie92, Oct 4, 2014.

1. jordancrombie92 macrumors regular

jordancrombie92

Basically every time I try to update my Apple TV (3rd gen) through software update, it cuts out at the last second and won't update meaning I have to start the whole 3-4 hour process again.

I've tried restoring it however I encounter the same problem as it has to download and install the latest update before it fully restores.

So I'm stuck and out of ideas. Help please?

2. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I would try downloading the new version manually and then installing as a backup.

3. jordancrombie92 thread starter macrumors regular

jordancrombie92

how would I go about doing that?

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

You download the file to your computer:

http://www.ipswdownloader.com/download-apple-tv-ipsw-files.php

Then you connect your apple tv by usb to the computer to be recognized in itunes. You remove the power, connect by usb, then connect the power.

When you get the atv recognized you have to push a key on the computer plus hit restore at the same time. Then you can navigate to the file.

https://gigaom.com/2011/01/13/how-to-restore-or-manually-update-your-apple-tv-software/

Option+Click the “Restore” button on the Apple TV screen in iTunes. A dialog box will open asking you to specify the location of the Apple TV software file you downloaded in Step 1. Once you select the file, click “Choose” to continue.

5. jordancrombie92 thread starter macrumors regular

jordancrombie92

thanks will try that later!

6. 2010mini macrumors 68040

i had this issue. even when i connected it to iTunes. I had to reset it back to factory and set it us as new. luckily I have an iPhone, so I used that to set it up automatically.

After which it connected and downloaded the new iOS very quickly

7. jordancrombie92 thread starter macrumors regular

jordancrombie92

thank you very much! that has worked a charm! however I'm getting no sound from netflix now :/