apple tv worth it

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by anthonyrp, Jun 19, 2011.

1. anthonyrp macrumors member

is apple tv worth it if you already have google tv?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I use the AppleTV to push videos and photo from my iPhone/iPad to the TV all the time. It's great for showing off photos to family. I don't have a GoogleTV, so I'm not sure how it does those things, but I'm sure it's not quite like how AirPlay does it.

3. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I don't have Google TV either, but I am seriously considering purchasing an Apple TV. At $99 I think it's going to be something I get for a b-day present (November).

I complained to Comcast and got my cable bill for about $100 less but I still don't watch TV and I think Apple TV + Netflix + Ripping DVD's on my Macbook (eventually iMac once we get out of our condo and into a house with a proper office) is going to be the way to go.

4. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just got my Apple TV a few weeks ago and love it! I'm not at the point yet where I feel like I can get rid of Comcast. I wish Hulu was available on Apple TV.....that would be my deciding factor to ditch cable tv!

5. HadItWithWindow macrumors regular

@stockcerts

I have nothing but Mac products (a lot) and recently bought a Roku to stream from Netflix. Now that I've found they don't have that good of a selection on wireless I'm looking for something else.

Today at Best Buy I looked at the Logitech Revue or some such. It lets you stream internet to the TV which would be cool. Everything I've read about Apple TV does not indicate that you can do that. Only from iTunes, iPad and iPhones.

My goal is to get rid of Cox Cable. I only watch some news, CNBC, and sports. I don't need the other 100 station crap. If anyone can tell me how to do this I would greatly appreciate your advice. I just don't see Apple TV doing it which really surprises me.

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

Thats why people jailbreak. So they can have things that apple forbids

7. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

If you want to jailbreak there's always PLEX. While I haven't used it myself they say the client is very good.

- via iPhone

8. SurfMacJpMtb macrumors member

SurfMacJpMtb

I do not know much about GoogleTV but if you have a bunch of iTunes content, a bunch of pictures in iPhoto, and a TV with a HDMI port then AppleTV is worth $99

We get our money's worth enjoying our pictures with random music playing

The converted DVD's, free iTunes samples, movie trailers, You Tube, Flickr, MobileMe, are additional value

9. eTip macrumors 6502

Heck, I would say that if you have an iPhone or iPad, it's worth $99 just for AirPlay. If I had no other way to view web content on my TV and when I was buying an iPhone or iPad, I was offered the ability to display video from my IOS device - wirelessly - for $99 it would seem like a bargain to me.

10. ben173, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

ben173 macrumors regular

11. eTip macrumors 6502

Does ben173 have Google? ;-)

.....sorry man, too hard to resist. Yes, it has wi-fi as well as an ethernet port.

12. ben173 macrumors regular

yes i have the google tv built in with the sony tv

13. eTip macrumors 6502

14. ben173 macrumors regular

why do you ask?