Apple TV

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

What exactly is it? What do you need to buy in order for it to work? What are the advantages?

rower

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
You need a hdmi cord as well. Everything else set. Either connect with wifi to your network, or you can use ethernet (so need that too if that is the way you want to connect to your router)

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
AirPlay is the biggest advantage. You can mirror your iPad or iPhone (and Mac with Mountain Lion) onto your TV wirelessly and effortlessly. So you can show pictures or videos or see an app on your TV.

tips

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2011
On Top Of The World
Hello,
I have not bought myself one,But thinking to buy the latest one released on March 7th.

One of the feature that attracts me towards this is, AirPlay support.
Where you can swipe an video that you playing on iPad(may be in iMac also) computer and place into AirPlay object, which will enable streaming of this video into your TV which is connected to AppleTV seamlessly.
Especially with small kids little cranky, this can come handy to quickly browse and airplay that on big screen. Its good time saver.

Otherwise, I do have sony PlayStation and Sony Blueray DVD player with wifi enabled features like netflix/hulu/youtube. This does most of the online video watching with remote control, but not miss AirPlay.

You need a hdmi cord as well. Everything else set. Either connect with wifi to your network, or you can use ethernet (so need that too if that is the way you want to connect to your router)