Apple TV ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Washac, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Washac, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Looked over the net and just keep finding conflicting answers to this question.

What will Apple TV mirroring work with what will it not work with ?

Do I just need the Apple TV box.

IOS, year of machine etc ?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

AppleTV mirroring will work with Any iOS device with an A5 or newer (iPhone 4S+, iPad 2+) running iOS 5.0+ and any 2011 Mac* or newer (that is the 2011 model year, so if you bought a 2010 model in 2011 it will not work). You also need to be running Mt. Lion on those machines. It is believed that Macs that do Airplay Mirroring use Intel's Quicksync technology to do the encoding of the screen. Quick Sync was a feature released with the Sandy Bridge Intel processors (and now Ivy Bridge as well) and is only found in Processors with an integrated GPU.

Here's a Mac list of the "earliest Macs" to be able to do mirroring:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay#AirPlay_Mirroring

Obviously, this also requires an AppleTV2 or newer (meaning the original AppleTV will not work).

* The only exception to this rule is the 2012 Mac Pro (which was just a spec bump to the 2010) is not capable of doing Airplay Mirroring.

3. Washac, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for that link very helpful.

So there is no way to get mirroring working on my 2009 MacBook laptop nor my 2009 Mac Pro, there is no third party software out there that would help ?

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

So there is no way to get mirroring working on my 2009 MacBook laptop nor my 2009 Mac Pro.

Will it not work using Airparrot ?

5. mic j macrumors 68030

If you are wanting to use AirParrot to stream movies, and especially blu-rays, you are probably going to be disappointed. But the best thing to do is to download it and really challenge the app during it's trial. Throw your most challenging file (or flash video) at it and look for stuttering (jerky motion).

I have a 2009 MBP,2.66GHz duo core , 4GB RAM. It did not work well enough for me to be able to watch a movie. From my searching around, it seems the people who state that it works well for them have multicore machines and/or are doing simple desktop type mirroring or youtube videos.

AirParrot converts the video stream to h.264 on the fly which is extremely CPU intensive. That's why multicores work better. AirPlay on the other hand uses built-in hardware that does the conversion. Therefore, there is minimal load on your CPU and the hardware is hugely faster at conversion than software conversion (AirParrot).

But if you want, just give AirParrot a go and see if it fits your needs.

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks, Apple TV mirrowing will be mainly used by another family member for watching TV station players for repeated programs, so I assume it would be OK.

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Up and running using Airparrot, seems pretty good to me.