Apple TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WalkB4Running, May 30, 2013.

1. WalkB4Running macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm in the market to make my HDTV "Smart" :D, but I'm not sure what direction to go in, I've had a look on eBay and there are dongles with android on, but to be honest they don't really appeal to me for some reason or other, I've spent an hour playing with XBMC and I don't like it, found it to hard to use, now I'm looking at an Apple TV 3, price is affordable to me, but from what I've been reading a few people have said that Apple have missed an opportunity with it, but from what I understand the Apple TV 3 can be jailbroken to add features not released by apple?, I've tried to do my best with my homework, I would like to watch Netflix, ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5.

I look forward to any replies, and thank you all in advance.

Thank You,

p.s.... I currently don't have any :apple: product(s) (yet), sorry.

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Are you located in the UK, and would you like BBC iPlayer too?

3. WalkB4Running thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, yes please.

4. dcains macrumors regular

No jailbreak for the ATV3, and none likely to come. Best to get an ATV2, but be prepared to pay maybe 3x original retail.

5. palmharbor macrumors 6502

WIFI problematic

Keep in mind this unit as others do, DEPENDS ON THE QUALITY OF YOUR WIFI
    signal. If it is week because of the location of the modem then it will say "loading" indefinately. WIFI has never been a great product in the home.
    I had to relocate my "N" router by extending both cables down one wall and then another to locate the modem on a small shelf above the inside door so it would be almost in line of sight of the "smart" box...Apple is no different
    than Sony or Samsung.

6. iamgalactic macrumors regular

what about Youview

You may be better with a Youview box... no Netflix yet, but may be coming soon. However, it does have all the on demand players - via a rather neat feature where you can go backwards in the guide.

Apple TV is mainly useful for people who have libraries of video to stream to their TV via itunes - as far a I can tell...

Personally, there are lots of things that annoy me about Youview - but I'm a UX designer so it probably won't bug most people!

You can get the box via BT for around £50 plus £5 a month.

7. mooblie, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

in UK? Want BBC iPlayer?
    You might find that, in the UK, that Apple TV is not a good choice to make your TV "Smart". Take at look at the alternatives, such as the Sony SMP-N200:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-smp-n200

Check any device you are considering for its best performance area - usually EITHER Internet content, OR local content from your own media at home. I don't think there's a clear winner here that plays everything well (in the UK) at the moment.

See also the table at the bottom of this page for many other manufacturers:
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/where_to_get_iplayer/television/
    As you can see, there are a lot of TVs, Blu-ray players, games consoles, as well as home media hubs, out there with this functionality.