Apple TV2 album art

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by davidoloan, Mar 17, 2011.

1. davidoloan macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have set up an unused 2006 Dell with an Intel Celeron D 346 3.06 Ghz processor and only 512mb of ram for home-sharing with Apple Tv2's and an iPad.

I have the Dell and the Apple Tv2's wired with Cat6 cable.

Everything works great except the home-sharing album art on an Apple TV2 is lost after you watch a large file on another part of the apple TV e.g a video podcast download or rental movie.

After you go back to your computer library on the Apple Tv it only takes each album cover a second to appear after you click on it. You get the musical symbol until it appears. I have 500 Cd's and the second delay is annoying. Sounds trivial but its not.

Once the artwork appears it stays and you can browse really quickly indefinitely until you download a large file like a rental movie.

So my question is : Is this a result of the Apple Tv2's limited ram or is it a problem with the home-sharing computer. Would 2 gigs of ram in the Dell improve things?

Thanks.

2. davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, either nobody was interested or nobody knew the answer.

So I bought 2GB Ram and replaced the 512MB to experiment.

The difference is dramatic at the Apple TV2's. Album Art is more or less instant even when being accessed for the first time.

No problems with streaming 720p movies or anything else using Ethernet throughout.

So if anybody is interested in using an old computer as a permanently turned on Home Sharing it works very well as long as you max the RAM. It doesn't have to be a powerful computer.