Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slockton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Hello,

I have read all the relevant forums/wikis/websites and cannot find an answer to my Apple TV 2 problem: The SkipForward button on my Harmony 650 skips forward 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds, as I've read it should. Similarly, the SkipBackward button skips back 5 minutes, and not 10 seconds. This happens on TV shows, videos, and netflix.

I have the latest Logitech software and firmware, and have set up the harmony device with the default Apple TV "Media center PC".

I have read other people use the up/down rocker to do the 30 sec. forward/10 sec/ backward skip and that's what I'd love to do to. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks,
S

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Hello,

I have read all the relevant forums/wikis/websites and cannot find an answer to my Apple TV 2 problem: The SkipForward button on my Harmony 650 skips forward 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds, as I've read it should. Similarly, the SkipBackward button skips back 5 minutes, and not 10 seconds. This happens on TV shows, videos, and netflix.

I have the latest Logitech software and firmware, and have set up the harmony device with the default Apple TV "Media center PC".

I have read other people use the up/down rocker to do the 30 sec. forward/10 sec/ backward skip and that's what I'd love to do to. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks,
S

Short answer:
Don't use logitech's archived Apple TV device for your remote. Use something else (say, Tivo Premiere) and use the Apple TV's built-in learning mode to make whatever buttons you want do whatever you want, including the skip functionality.

Long answer:
I have a logitech harmony 300i and I ran into similar problems when I tried to use the stock logitech Apple TV "device" on the remote. I could not solve it to get the short skip functionality. So instead I did the following:
Instead of using the logitech "Apple TV" device for your remote, use something else entirely (I use the Tivo Premiere device) and then get your Apple TV to "learn" that remote mode. That is, for that mode on your Harmony, set it to the Tivo Premiere (or whatever other device) just so you can get all the buttons you want emitting some infrared signal, regardless of what that signal was originally intended to do. Then, once your Harmony has accepted this device programming, go to the Apple TV itself, settings--> General --> Remotes --> Learn Remote, and have the Apple TV "learn" the Tivo Premiere device remote. At first it will just be the arrow buttons and play/pause and menu. But then you can have it learn buttons to use for "next chapter", skip ahead, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.