Apple TV4 and airplay question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ryanellis, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ryanellis macrumors newbie

So, I have an Apple TV3 at the moment, and I genuinely get super annoyed when using it with my rMBP as extended desktop. It works FINE with my gf's Macbook Air! I've searched far and wide for a solution, my bluetooth is off, I have a Time Capsule, the ATV is wired to the Time Capsule and still it persists- glitching, stuttering... There is a line of code I've been using in Terminal which helps but it's still not perfect.

My question is- has anybody had this problem with the ATV3 and upgraded to ATV4 to find the problem has gone?? The main thing I use the ATV for is for extended desktop so everything comes through my home cinema amp and TV.

Any insights before I go out and buy one would be greatly appreciated!

2. ryanellis thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cynics macrumors G3

I used to use my ATV3 to mirror my iMac and it got really stuttery and laggy after an update. It got to the point I stopped using it.

ATV4 has been much better.

Can't say that it will definitely fix your issue though. For me it went from being able to play games via AirPlay mirroring to not even being able to watch a movie.

4. ryanellis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's basically what happened with me- it was totally fine when I first bought it, then after an OS update it was terrible... and thanks to Apple, there was no winding back the clock :mad:

Appreciate your response- will probably just buy one and see how I get on... If it's **** I can always take it back :)

5. cynics macrumors G3

That's what I would do. I didn't have another Mac to test my ATV3, I just figured updates broke it completely but you mention your gf's MBA works fine which makes me nervous saying upgrading will solve your problem.

6. ryanellis thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah she's still on Mavericks, though! might be that...

I'll update when I buy it :) thanks for replying!