Apple TV4 choppy Airplay??

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
I have a Apple TV4 and an iPhone 6s Plus on 12.1
Is it normal for airplay to be choppy while playing video. At first i thought maybe it was because I was trying to Airplay video captured on GoPro Hero 6 Black(high bitrate). I thought it was my router etc. I discovered my router doesn't even need to be connected for airplay from iPhone to ATV. So it appears i have two problems:
1). The optical image stabilizer is causing notchy video when panning. Not on my device, only when airplay. The rest of the video is smooth, just this weird catching when panning.
2). Lag or buffering when playing GoPro or any video airplay from device. Seems like it needs to buffer some video from device to ATV.
Could the hardware in ATV4 be borderline too slow for the amount of data being transferred in real time. Once the video has either sat unplayed for 10sec or so or has already been played through, it plays smooth.
Wondering if anyone else has noticed such an issue and/or is the ATV4k a viable fix?

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
I'm going with poor network speed.

what do you mean by "discovered my router doesn't even need to be connected"?

the video goes from your phone, to the router, and then back to the aTV,
if the aTV is wireless, then the video is on the wireless network twice.
and if your router is on the other side of the house, it's on a weak signal twice.

it happens when panning, since the entire image is changing,
the way video compression works... if part of the image doesn't change, it doesn't get sent
panning also exaggerates missing frames, since you can see them jump

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2018
I always have problems with speakers connected via airplay while playing content from ATV4. The audio and video eventually go out of sync every time I'm watching something. The volume control doesn't work from the Siri remote. Airplay2 works (or doesn't) mysteriously. Have tried researching about this issue on the internet, but have had no luck finding a solution.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
I always have problems with speakers connected via airplay while playing content from ATV4. The audio and video eventually go out of sync every time I'm watching something. The volume control doesn't work from the Siri remote. Airplay2 works (or doesn't) mysteriously. Have tried researching about this issue on the internet, but have had no luck finding a solution.
try rebooting your router and other network gear.
can help with network broadcasts occasionally

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
It’s highly likely to be your network, specifically your router. That was one of the things that drove me towards the AirPort routers. The way these devices work together is something I am really going to miss if I stop using them.

MasturB

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2014
It’s highly likely to be your network, specifically your router. That was one of the things that drove me towards the AirPort routers. The way these devices work together is something I am really going to miss if I stop using them.
I travel a lot and work out of hotel rooms. I use Airplay for work at home but considered bringing my Apple TV and a router with me to use Airplay with my iPad Pro. My plan was just buying some regular netgear or linksys router to use Airplay. Video presentations are something I work with a lot. Are you saying I'm going to need an Airport router for the videos to run smoothly since they're all Apple Products? The Airport is pretty big itself... so I guess I'd have to try and buy a used Airport Express since it's smaller.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I travel a lot and work out of hotel rooms. I use Airplay for work at home but considered bringing my Apple TV and a router with me to use Airplay with my iPad Pro. My plan was just buying some regular netgear or linksys router to use Airplay. Video presentations are something I work with a lot. Are you saying I'm going to need an Airport router for the videos to run smoothly since they're all Apple Products? The Airport is pretty big itself... so I guess I'd have to try and buy a used Airport Express since it's smaller.
I have an Asus router that works perfectly fine for AirPlay to an AppleTV.
[doublepost=1542547971][/doublepost]
I have a Apple TV4 and an iPhone 6s Plus on 12.1
Is it normal for airplay to be choppy while playing video. At first i thought maybe it was because I was trying to Airplay video captured on GoPro Hero 6 Black(high bitrate). I thought it was my router etc. I discovered my router doesn't even need to be connected for airplay from iPhone to ATV. So it appears i have two problems:
1). The optical image stabilizer is causing notchy video when panning. Not on my device, only when airplay. The rest of the video is smooth, just this weird catching when panning.
2). Lag or buffering when playing GoPro or any video airplay from device. Seems like it needs to buffer some video from device to ATV.
Could the hardware in ATV4 be borderline too slow for the amount of data being transferred in real time. Once the video has either sat unplayed for 10sec or so or has already been played through, it plays smooth.
Wondering if anyone else has noticed such an issue and/or is the ATV4k a viable fix?
You could have a lot of wifi interference. Baby monitors from neighbors can be especially bad. Try changing the wifi channel your router is on to a less crowded frequency. Also, try switching from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz if you have a dual band router. 5 GHz is much less crowded.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I think it's more that AirPort routers are engineered to avoid the issues that others seem to have, rather than there being some quirk in Apple products that makes them problematic with third-party routers, and Apple's exit from designing routers points to this in my opinion as well.

You can still get the Express new, but this will only work as long as you either have ethernet available and do not get blocked by the format some hotels use for verification via a browser.

MasturB

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2014
I think it's more that AirPort routers are engineered to avoid the issues that others seem to have, rather than there being some quirk in Apple products that makes them problematic with third-party routers, and Apple's exit from designing routers points to this in my opinion as well.

You can still get the Express new, but this will only work as long as you either have ethernet available and do not get blocked by the format some hotels use for verification via a browser.
Just read about Peer-To-Peer Airplay. Looks like this would work without requiring me to have a router. Going to buy an Apple TV later on today and give it a try.