Apple TV4 - The red headed stepchild.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Praesto, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Praesto macrumors regular

I see a ton of threads on here that talk about the Apple TV4 but none of them seem to orient around whether or not it will ever be produced.

Will it? Probably yes, but when? If the average cycle according to MacRumors is 377 days, then why are we 1015 days into the most recent iteration?

2.78 years since the most recent version came out and we have ChromeCast and Amazon Fire. When will Apple answer back? Or will they be punished?

$100 is fairly cheap and with student discounts or using Ebay even cheaper. But don't we all want a new one?

When will Apple TV4 come out?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Because Apple is busy with their full time "job" and doesn't have much time to devote to a "hobby"? ;)

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Just because we keep saying we want an Apple TV 4 doesn't mean we know what it is. The the moment, and Apple TV 4 is an abstract idea embodying what each individual thinks they want in a streaming set top box. It's a hope an a prayer - not a thing to be released.

From past experience, Apple will not make an Apple-ified ChromeCast or FireTV; that's not Apple's MO. They will create some new out of whole cloth, or they will improve what they already have.

4. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Unless Apple plan on opening up the AppleTV to Apps with it's own AppStore, then I don't see the need to change the current AppleTV, other then change for change sake.

I would say that for the vast majority of people in the world then they will have a 1080p screen still, so the current Mk3 will still supply the iTunesHD content well enough.

Despite the best efforts of the retailers then TV is still in the 1080p world and going to be some time before 4K takes over in the living room.

The main purpose of the ATV is iTunes content display into the living room, so unless iTunes goes 4K ( no doubt with the complaints about having to rebuy content at 4K ) or open up to Apps then not sure what the benefit to Apple is in a new ATV.

5. Praesto thread starter macrumors regular

While I agree, the problem is that less people buy the tech because of its age. Even if it is sufficient to meet the average consumer needs, average consumers would prefer a newer item.

Thoughts?

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

H.265

The only thing that would make me buy an :apple:TV4 would be H.265 support and it would also require Netflix to support it. And I want H.265 just to lower my monthly data usage because of my ISP and its 30GB monthly data cap.

7. BangTheDish macrumors newbie

Things I hate about the current version:

1. Navigation is terribly hierarchical...you can't move sideways, you have to back all the way out of the X branch to move down into the Y branch. A dozen clicks later you're there.
    2. Almost every evening I try to watch the current NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. Half the time the Podcast app tells me it is no longer available, or it's yesterday's program. Yet when I reset the Apple TV, magically that evening's Nightly News program is available. So we reset nightly as the work-around.

It could be so much better than this.

8. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Maybe after :apple:Watch is out, they can devote their attention to :apple:TV, but there's going to be the mid-cycle refreshes of the iPhones, iOS 9, OS X whatever, and so forth to contend with as well.

Despite it's market cap, Apple isn't a huge development shop. Resources are limited, and a few million :apple:TV units really don't compare to phone and tablet sales, or even MacBooks.

9. mellofello macrumors 65816

This segment is dead imo. Since getting my smart tv I have only powered up my Apple TV a handful of times, and even then it was just to play audio through my living room stereo.

Until Apple comes out with its own over the top tv service, or at least a App Store there is really no reason for Apple TV to even exist.

10. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

If they had folders in the apple tv4 for tvshows, movies, etc. and added a store with gaming options, I'd go out by 5 of them on launch day. Add internet access with safari and surfing capability, I'll grab 3 more.

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Until the Apps you have become outdated and your tv is past its support window and then you are left with a TV with Apps that don't work. I have a smart TV with apps that no longer work and no firmware to update to.

Personally, I think people are better off buying streaming boxes at <$100 that are easy to throw away and upgrade if the support stops than tying it all into their expensive TV's (think TV/VCR combos back in the day when the VCR functionality would stop working).

Just my .02 worth.

12. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Well your opinion is wrong because the fact is more people bought streaming boxes last year than ever before

13. 8281 macrumors 6502

Huh...I think the exact opposite. A $100 box is a lot cheaper to replace than a $800 television when the software becomes outdated. I just want a "dumb screen" that accepts whatever box I want.

14. mellofello macrumors 65816

Meh if you get one of the 2014 4k TVs from Samsung or other name brand they come with things currently unavailable from any box like hevc decoding. If you look at where things are going at this moment in time to watch 4k content Netflix, Amazon, Comcast, and direct tv require you to have it built in.

The latest crop of smart tv are in a different league from a few years ago. Most have quad core processors and will be more then adequate for the foreseeable future. In many ways the built in apps are better I have plex built in, and even on 1080p content the picture on Netflix looks best on the native app vs Apple TV.

I can see things like chromecast and Fire stick for people with legacy tvs, but Apple TV is redundant, and expensive when most people will have it built into their tvs, or have a game system, blue ray player, etc plugged in.

Until someone actually gets the deals done and comes out with a true ip cable service, then this segment will be stagnant. Even then chances are it will be something like Netflix, and will strive to be platform agnostic, and available as ubiquitously as possible.

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The Apple TV becomes a bigger and bigger business each year.

There's no way Apple isn't developing something in this category.

It might be like the iPad, where they chose to release the iPhone before the iPad. It appears Apple has chosen to release the Apple Watch ahead of the Apple TV because the content is not settled yet.

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

Again, this is true until the TV manufacturer decides they'd prefer that you buy a new display. I've seen it several times already. The TV gets a couple years old and there are no more updates. Something changes on the provider end and that's it, no more working apps. It doesn't matter what kind of processor it has once the support ends.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I might be interested but I'd want one released when it offers new functionality and features and not just for the sake of releasing something new or because X days have lapsed since the prior release.

18. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

True 4k streaming devices are virtually impossible to find, but it still doesn't change the fact that Samsung (or any other TV manufacturer) has no incentive to update their apps after you purchased the TV. In fact by not updating they actually have a chance of you buying again when apps stop working (i currently have this problem). Samsung is actually really bad about long term support past a couple years. Worse than many companies (and I own several of their TVs).

And who cares what processor is in a TV... It's only usable as long as the apps work right? When the apps stop working, it might as well have no processor at all right?

19. XmeX macrumors regular

Yes they are toOoOoOo busy working on the "compatibility" of sucks product which called "Apple watch" ., they even ignore the "minor" bugs like Safari crash as example

20. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

They are just waiting to incorporate HDCP 2.2 for DRM into new boxes. Once that's in place 4K won't be limited to just tvs anymore.

http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/
    http://televisions.reviewed.com/features/4k-content-on-hold-until-its-safe-from-pirates

21. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

THE APPS. Apple TV would go from "hobby" product to entirely new product category if Apple would open it up to running apps. The pieces that would make it a "must have" are:

- Game controller API in iOS (done!) - so iDevices could be controllers

- A7 or A8X - for 1080p or 4K video (chips are also done)

- Revamp games for Apple TV format (not a big deal)

- HomeKit API for controlling connected devices via Apple TV (done)

- Streaming sources could be added via apps as well

- Metal (done) - Given the processing power of the A8X, games could approach XBox / PlayStation quality, at a much better price point

- Include AirPlay / video mirroring (done)

So a gaming, app running, home controlling, TV streaming box for $99-199 (for more storage)? Heck yes! I'm wanting this big time.

22. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I personally want a box instead of having it built into a TV. I am not planning on updating my 1080p televisions anytime soon. Also, there is something to be said for portability. One of the upsides to the AppleTV is that I can put it in my suitcase and have access to iTunes match and Airplay streaming from anywhere.

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Ok.... This made me sad.

24. a1b2c3 macrumors newbie

All I would like to see is mainly a hardware update and some new UI options.

A7 chip
    1GB Ram
    USB 3.0 support (for a local HDD content)
    Better remote

I would also like to see UI tweaks and have the option to change background colors, I hate the black background. Also allow more than just list view for local content. Such as grid view.

Other than that I couldn't care less about anything else.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Truthfully, I can't think of a huge improvement that I'd want in an Apple TV 4 over the 3. Maybe a way to make that little bitty remote beep by pressing a button on the Apple TV unit. I can't say how many times that I've lost that little sucker.