Apple TV4 to Sky TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gw0gvq, Dec 7, 2015.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

I already have an apple tv in my bedroom but I wonder if any one can help me please? I want to get another for my living room but my problem is there is a TV with only 2 HDMI ports and they're used up 1 with the sky STB and their is also a Blue-ray player in the other . So my question is how do I go about setting it up? i.e.. what more beside the ATV4 would I need and how would it need to be connected? I won't be connecting it up personally because I'm a wheelchair user with lack of mobility so please could you give the instructions as a friend would be helping me TIA.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you'll need an HDMI switcher, below is a link to the US amazon page, there are quite a few options.
    on this page are also splitters, which is not what you want, those would let you connect 2 TVs to a single source.
    in the names most have "2x1" or "3x1" the first number is inputs, second number is outputs, you want a "__x1" with 1 for the second number.
    and most come with a remote, to select the input. Some are auto switching, but can be a problem as the aTV tends to wake up on it's own.

you''ll need an HDMI cable to connect each device to the switch, and 1 HDMI cable to connect the switch to the TV.
    for short lengths, pretty much all HDMI cables are the same, so don't break the bank thinking you have to get the expensive ones.

for ease of use, i would get one with enough inputs for all of your devices, that way your TV will always stay on the same input, and you only change the switch, otherwise, you'll have to make sure the TV and the switch are on the correct combination of inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_bc_5?ie=UTF8&node=172546

3. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Thanks I have one HDMI cable that I'm using on the existing one and a switcher that has input 1 input2 and an output but what I don't understand is if I use the blue ray for e.g. in input 1 and the apple tv in input in output what I would connect there because I don't understand what would power the Apple tv to the tv in my living room because there would be nothing connected to my ordinary tv.? Thanks for the replying and the link. PS because the switcher I have has no HDMI lead connected to it

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

so

aTV <--HDMI--> 1|-----------|
    Sky <--HDMI--> 2| Switcher | <--HDMI--> TV input #1
    Blu <--HDMI--> 3|-----------|

for that setup, you need a 3 input switch, and 4 HDMI cables
    the second HDMI port on the tv would be unused

5. gw0gvq, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015

gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Thats whats confusing me a little because the switcher I have got has an output and 2 inputs but if I insert the TV to the Output and then insert the blue ray to input 1 and Apple TV to input 2 there is nowhere on the connecter for another HDMI lead and as a result the original tv is not connected by any HDMI lead because there is nowhere else on the connecter for a 4th HDMI to connect to the TV set so I've just purchased this from UK Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1831...deo-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1449539432&sr=1-1