Apple TVos on 3rd Gen on par?

satchmo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
What if anything is not available to older generation AppleTV's.

I have a 3rd gen that needs a new power supply. I will pony up $20 to repair, if I get most of the functionality of the new 4th Gen.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
What if anything is not available to older generation AppleTV's.

I have a 3rd gen that needs a new power supply. I will pony up $20 to repair, if I get most of the functionality of the new 4th Gen.
Depends on what you mean by "most of the functionality." They aren't giving any new features to the gen 3.

Reactions: satchmo

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
So far the main differences, other than the lovely new interface are that Apple music is only available on the Apple TV 4 and of course, the AppStore.

That's the biggie as far as I'm concerned, before too long the AppStore will begin to fill up with awesome apps and games, if that floats your boat :D

Oh, and it's a personal preference, but I loooove the new Siri remote compared to the old one.

I think overall the single biggest difference is potential. The new Apple TV has got so much room to grow and the power to facilitate that growth.

But it all depends on your needs. If your happy with the selection of services on the Apple TV 3 and don't plan on using any more than that. You don't need the ATV 4.