Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
So I recently upgraded my computer to a Macbook Pro 2011 and now my Apple TV2 can't see it. Itunes on the MBP sees the AppleTV and I can airplay to it but not computers show up on the AppleTV.

I have confirmed:
Using the same apple ID
Homeshare is on
Restarted both the Mac and ATV multiple times
No network changes

Any ideas?

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
This one is easy to fix, it happens to me all the time when I reboot my iTunes computer. My AppleTV 2 sees the computer but claims there is no media present. If this is what you're seeing do the following.

On your Apple TV 2, turn off home sharing, then turn it back on. It remembers your settings, so you can just click okay when asked about what account you want. That should bring back your computer.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
This one is easy to fix, it happens to me all the time when I reboot my iTunes computer. My AppleTV 2 sees the computer but claims there is no media present. If this is what you're seeing do the following.

On your Apple TV 2, turn off home sharing, then turn it back on. It remembers your settings, so you can just click okay when asked about what account you want. That should bring back your computer.

Thanks but it doesn't see the computer at all. None (I have two in the house), both new and it can't see them at all.

87am

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I have had similar issues. I reset everything and got it to work. I think what finally did it was just unplugging my router. Make sure all the software is te lateat version. I havent had any issues since except that the remte app on y iphobe will not work will the apple TV, though airplay does...

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
Thanks but it doesn't see the computer at all. None (I have two in the house), both new and it can't see them at all.

Well that sucks. I used to have that problem too, but restarting the AppleTV usually fixed it. Huh, I think I had to go to the computer and turn home sharing off then back on that device. One the computer on the AppleTV if I'm not being clear.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

MikeVarney

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009

This works for me too. You could turn off and reactivate Home Sharing on your workstation as well. But if it doesn't for you, do you have a firewall or router issue?

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Still nothing

I have followed the suggestions in this thread (resetting, starting/stopping, etc) and nothing works. I have two ATV2s and neither can see my computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.