Apple TV's video strains my eyes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by weili, Jan 25, 2015.

1. weili macrumors newbie

I have used WD TV Live for years but wanted something that I can "cast" to from my devices. I tried Google Chromecast when it came out but there was noticeable lag and watching the video strained my eyes. I eventually decided to get an Apple TV.

After using it for two days, I noticed that it strains my eyes too, even though it wasn't as noticeable initially. Although my wife told me she felt fine.

I have tried Apple TV on both of our TVs and it was the same. I have two AirPort Extremes at home and the Apple TV was very close to one of them and had excellent connection. My Internet connection shouldn't be the problem too at 60/10mbps.

I tried to mess around with my TV's settings but with the same settings, watching cable (TiVO), WD TV Live and Wii are perfectly fine. Watching videos on my iMac, iPad, iPhone and Android devices are all fine too.

Any suggestions before I return this thing? Thanks.

2. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Strains your eyes? What does that mean, gives you a headache?

Have you tried watching the same content on two different devices to see what the difference might be? Is it brightness, sharpness or smoothness of motion?

The only thing I can think of is that possibly the refresh rate is set to a frequency your eyes aren't used to. Go into the video settings, find where you are given the choice between 50Hz and 60Hz and switch it.