Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
We started doing weekly family video chats during this lockdown. The first time, we used Facetime. The constantly rearranging tiles, plus the way one person's video would always not be displayed (and by "one person" I mean it was a rotating thing - first it was person A, then person B, etc.)... never again.

We went with Zoom the second time. It went much more smoothly, even though the second time had two additional people. And we've had two additional Zoom chats, both of which were smooth sailing.

Facetime is probably great for two or perhaps three people... but overall it's not up to the competition.
I used Facetime group twice, never again. I don't know how you even got to the part with tiles not working right. The basic video call was broken. One person was audio only for some reason, and I kept becoming inaudible to others. My policy with family is just use Zoom or Discord, and my friends do that anyway.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I used Facetime group twice, never again. I don't know how you even got to the part with tiles not working right. The basic video call was broken. One person was audio only for some reason, and I kept becoming inaudible to others. My policy with family is just use Zoom or Discord, and with friends they do that anyway.
Don’t have problems with Group FaceTime. Our four family members are on FaceTime every day.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
Fantastic news! Vomiting during every Facetime call was not very useful.

JKAussieSkater

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Alternatives not only exist but are aren't forcing people within the wall garden to use them.

I agree with you, but please fix this typo, which is somewhat critical to the point you were trying to make! ?
[automerge]1588352704[/automerge]
I seem to recall that that's a privacy feature. The way I understand it is that iOS is smart enough to limit access to the camera if a preview isn't being displayed on screen.

Optimistic, but no. Remember this disaster from only 6 months ago? MacRumors: Bug in Facebook App Accesses the Camera in the Background

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.