Apple Twitter account leading to more open dialog?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Torster, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Torster macrumors member

Looks like Apple just established a verified Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/forstall

Maybe everyone who is excited for the new Mac Pro would be motivated to let Apple know by sending them a nice tweet.

:)

TL

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Front page news (why, no one knows) but no, I don't think this will lead to more open dialog. Apple tells us what we want and when we want it, like sheep we follow (I know I do) and we applaud them when they bring us copy/paste or last year's graphics in something shinny and well designed. ;)

3. Torster thread starter macrumors member

You never know what the right tweet will do!

Seriously--people are actually sending more and more mail to Steve Jobs because the dialog is more open now with the public than it ever has been. The replies might be cryptic, but he's at least writing some people back.

If people we're to launch a cavalcade of pro-oriented towards Apple, it might remind them that without production on the pro side, there can be no consumption on the consumer side.

Last time I checked, there is no consumer-generated YouTube-esque content being sold at the iTunes Music Store.

TL

4. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Forstall is in charge of iOS software. He isn't involved in a significant way in Mac Pro.

Apple isn't likely going to change is policy about talking about future products. Forstall (and other Apple execs) are still going to be bound by the nondisclosure policy. All the open dialog will be about, if any, will be about released products. If the vast majority of the tweets directed at him are folks asking for insider information I'm sure they'll just cut all "official" discussion from the twitter stream.

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

If only Steve would get a Twitter. But I highly doubt that will ever happen.

6. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

There is an old cartoon where the caption reads "On the Internet no one knows if you are a dog". It would be surprising if that was steve jobs. Apple can easily collect a bunch of common emails, ask steve for a response, and then ship out one or two of them. Steve Jobs spending hours out of every day just sitting around answering a steady stream of emails . At this point, the stream of loons who are sending him email has to be huge. Nor are many of these responded too emails original. They tend to align with questions asked previously (with perhaps very minor variations. The short cryptic responses make them easier to adapt to the more general issue once identified. ) They could put up a "I want to email steve jobs" FAQ file but nobody would probably read it.

You don't think that Apple doesn't have a precise count of the "pro" units sold each week, month , quarter ? Or this is one of those "squeaky wheel gets the grease" take on the issue. If it is a part or development issue that is delaying the Mac Pro all being "squeaky" does is be annoying. It does nothing to help with the root cause issue.

7. rajbonham macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure his life isn't all about Apple, 24/7, 365 days a year. I'm pretty sure Forstall has a personal life as well. He's probably going to be like any other Twitter user, posting about what they are doing.

I'm pretty sure his main goal isn't to drop hints about Apple products all day. :rolleyes:

You guys are over thinking this WAY too much.

8. mism macrumors member

Steve Jobs' emails and any Apple twitter accounts are just PR. They answer the questions that suit them and ignore the ones that don't.
    This is one of the things that frustrates me the most, Apple simply ignore the Mac Pro issue, from a communications stand point at least.

9. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

+1