Apple UK Higher Education Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 7084, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 7084 macrumors member

Is there an official figure for how much this discount takes off?

I know this is really cheeky but i'm no where near my University network computers and so really want to check the price of this system with the discount applied.

Specifications
    2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
    1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive (Price off 500gb drive would be useful too!)
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
    Wireless keyboard (English) + Mac OS X (English)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    24-inch glossy widescreen LCD
    AirPort Extreme

If anybody would be able to find out that'd be great! If not no worries, cheers!

2. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

i think the discounts vary from uni to uni... just phone up if you want to know the exact price.

but i got the base iMac recently and got £100 off and a free £60 printer so i guess you'd get a bit more than that off... but like i say give them a ring.

good luck

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

You get 14% off, but the best thing to do would be to go to the Apple HE Online store (but this can only be accessed from your university)/

I have just been on the store and your spec above would be £1306.60 (and the Apple Care is an extra £44.64)

Hope this helps

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Yeh, I heard it was 14%... Its the same for all universities I believe...

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah it is the same for all universities because it's controlled by Apple, not the uni's.

6. 7084 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the answers guys! Much appreciated!

One more semi-related question. Can you get the student discount off stock models in actual Apple retail stores?

7. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

that's weird because when i got my iMac, Apple asked me for my Uni and said it was because they work out the pricing with each uni... also when i phoned the first time they quoted me a higher price than the second (only like £10 but it was for the exact same machine on HE) odd. perhaps it was just the salesman's error? dunno.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes you can but it might not be the same as the online store.

I got the middle MB for about £100 cheaper online than in the store.

9. r88my macrumors regular

Yes. I took my sister to the Trafford Centre Store a couple of months ago, all she needed to do was show her uni card and they check the discount in a folder at the back (i think it is uni dependent - around 14% if I remember correctly for Manchester Uni). I beleive they are giving away a HP printer (worth £59.99) away free after rebate with certain macs at the moment too (she also purchased the new mac pro the other day base spec/ applecare £52 with discount plus free printer) :)

10. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, whenever I've phoned up, they've told me it's a 12% discount but if you work it out on their HE Online store, it's 14% so they seem to offer a slightly higher rate for buying online.

Now that is odd. I was told in the Bullring Apple Shop (Birmingham) that you couldn't get the HE discount in store. I don't really mind all that much cuz I'll just order my stuff off the Apple HE online site when the MBP gets updated, but would be nice to have the option.

11. r88my macrumors regular

Yes that is odd. Funny thing is we were going to order it over the phone (we thought phone/online was the only way) but by chance I asked weather she could buy instore and the sales guy said yes. I have read on some threads here (quite a while ago so can't remember which ones exactly) that not all store employees are aware of this so you should try and speak to a manager or someone experienced if possible.

12. omarjk macrumors regular

UK Student Discount Enquiry

Following from the original post in this thread, I am away in Sweden but will be returning to university in a couple of weeks. In the meanwhile I have been looking at a couple of MacBooks on ebay at rather attractive prices.

To compare I'd like to know if someone is in a position to find out how much the discount would be on the White MacBook 2.2 ghz 120GB, and separately, Applecare for students?

Further, is there much justification in paying 150-200 pounds extra for a 2.2 ghz as opposed to the 2.16 ghz with 120 GB HDD? I would not be using the Mac to run Windows using Paralells nor be doing any 'gaming'?*

Omar

oops, forgot to add that I attend Uni of Sheffield if it makes any difference, and I could not build a certain picture of what the discount rate is from the thread, hence my post.

Thanks

13. Superdelphinus macrumors regular

the mac store in the arndale centre gives you 14% for HE discount

but the digital store near the bus station is giving you that plus they are doubling RAM for free

14. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

It may not apply for your University, but the University I work for provides a (free) VPN client and login that you can use so that it looks like you're on the University network, even when at home. This means I can access the Apple HE Online store from home. Might be worth enquiring if your University offers a similar service