Apple UK Regent Street Incompetence with my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ax220, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ax220 macrumors newbie

This is my first post so bear with me, I feel I have let off some steam!

So my Macbook 2.16ghz core 2 duo mid 2007 white

Developed some of the usual hairline cracks on the bottom case by the vent and then cracked completely on the top case where the magnetic bits from the lid come in contact.

So last week I took it into Regent street for what I thought was a standard top and bottom case replacement under my AppleCare plan.

Monday I went to pick it up feeling quite happy as things had gone really smoothly. Firstly I notice they they have put a new keyboard on which is completely different (I think updated with the new multimedia function keys) but I didn't really mind. Then the fun started.

It wouldn't start up off the battery even though fully charged, then the blacklight had failed so could hardly see anything. I sat for an hour as someone in an orange t shirt ran around for me. Then I demanded to speak to a manager and was told the logic board had failed, apparently by coincidence over night as the laptop sat on a shelf (complete b*llocks) so I had to restrain myself and let them fix it over the next day.

Got a call Tuesday night from the bloke who fixed it, he said the previous guy had not put a part back in (a white mushroom or something) and that meant the logic board got damaged. I was like whatever as long as it works, I'll deal with this later.

So I collected it today only to find the top case had already been damaged by being fitted/removed too aggresively. So again I had to wait a few hours whilst it was quickly replaced. At last I have my macbook back.

My point is twice two seperate people messed up, I went to Apple because I trust them, I could have just gone to a Apple Reseller and got it done, clearly should have!!

Finally I got the bill, it totalled £760!!! Had Apple not ballsed the initial job up it would only have cost them a mere £184. Thank everything under the sun that I have AppleCare.

I am looking for advise as to what further action I take against the idiots at Regent Street. I have to confess their customer service was excellent just disappointed at their workmanship, something I was not expecting at all.

Excuse the essay, I promise never to post again....

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I feel for you.

I would write a letter of complaint to Apple's regional office and explain the situation - although I personally wouldn't bother since they have already fixed your machine. Yeah, no doubt they will give you a discount code of give you some credit if you complain... its up to you how you want to take it further, if at all you want to do so.

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

If you have Applecare why did they give you a bill for 760 quid ?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'd talk to the manager and explain that you've been put out, see if you can get some discount on another purchase.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

They give you a till receipt with a bit at the bottom that says "you have saved £760 because you had AppleCare".........

6. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Neat......ive never had any idea how much my many Applecare repairs have cost.....

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Every time someone asks why they should get Applecare and bother to pay the £100 for it on Ebay, i'll link them to this thread.

8. ax220 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree Applecare is well worth the money when stuff like this happens.

Also I have just noticed 3 whitish marks on the display - which were not there before I took it in...

I think I will wait until March to take it back as I really have to get my dissertation done!!

Thanks for your comments, I will definitely be following up with Apple especially now the display seems broken.

It seems daft that they are spending this much on my machine, replacing it with a new Macbook would have been better all round.

9. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Does the 3 times rule still apply? If it has to be fixed three time then you should get a new one.

Hell, I would have demanded a new one the minute I found out that the logic board was broken.