Apple UK selling simfree iPhone 4. Will they activate with a T-Mobile simcard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londoner888, Jun 15, 2010.

1. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Just reserved a 32gb iPhone 4 for store pickup and was given a choice out of PAYG, Contract or Simfree.

Chose simfree, does this mean that I can just turn up on the day and get it activated with a T-Mobile simcard?

2. paulmw30 macrumors newbie

Upgrade

I'm out of contract with 02 but want to upgrade (not sim free option).

I'm on the last page on the Apple store about to confirm my order but have not been asked about PAYG or contract.....?????

3. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

It says on the UK Apple site ......

Buy your iPhone from
    Apple SIM-free.

It works with the carrier of your choice.
    Buy your iPhone from the Apple Online Store and choose your own GSM carrier. You can change carriers at any time.

4. donbenjy macrumors 6502

uh...T-Mobile are officially carrying the iPhone 4 you know? So absolutely, yes! ;)

5. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

Think you may well have to do the same as me and cut down your t mobile SIM to fit the phone.

When I spoke to t mobile a few days ago they didn't even know what a micro sim was! I'm sure this will change when they start selling iPhone 4 in July

6. donbenjy macrumors 6502

woah...what makes you say July?! I thought it would be available from them on the 24th?! :eek:

7. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I know! Don't know if it's true or not but I spoke with 2 different people who both told me they would start selling July

8. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Hmm...The upgrade team called me last month (before WWDC), and I said I was leaving for the iPhone, and they told me to call back this month and they'd be able to offer me one, so I assumed that it would be on the 24th.

Have you called the upgrade team? They're generally higher up that standard customer service. I might give them a call later this week.

I only have 1 month left anyway, so I think I'll get a PAC code from them if they don't know, go to the Apple store on the 24th, and then upgrade my T-mob contract if I can, or switch over if not

9. paulmw30 macrumors newbie

Will Apple stores be selling with contracts through the UK carriers on the 24th ?

10. donbenjy macrumors 6502

They definitely will for O2, Orange and Vodafone. The jury's out on Three and T-Mobile right now, which is what we're discussing.

Apparently they can upgrade as well as start new contracts, so I guess the only thing they can't do is to give any discounts :D

11. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I'll try again. I have the feeling though that the people I spoke to may be right. If you look on apples website. There's only vodaphone, orange and O2.

I can't help feeling that t mobile will come later

I HOPE I'm wrong, good idea picking up your PAC code, something tells me you may well need it :rolleyes:

12. Robbie G macrumors member

It will activate on any network - it's SIM free.

13. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

I pre-ordered an iPhone 4 today but just spoke to t-mobile and they *still* don't know what a micro-sim is! As I'm on 30-day rolling may just cancel t-mob next week and get Orange PAYG...

14. donbenjy macrumors 6502

It'll be really annoying if that happens. I think the Orange/Vodafone/O2 thing hasn't been updated since T-mobile and Three announced they would carry it.

T-mobs twitter feed seems fairly regularly updates though: http://twitter.com/TmobileUKhelp

15. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

Exactly but wether or not you can get a micro sim from 'any network' is another question altogether!