Apple UK with Amex

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by navodwickra, Oct 25, 2014.

1. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

So I've tried to register my UK issued Amex with apple pay and I got a different error message. When I tried my Barclaycard it told me the issuing bank doesn't support apple pay but when I tried my amex card it came up with a different error message. I know UK banks do not support Apple pay but has anyone tried their amex card in the UK?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Only AMERICAN issued cards can be added to ApplePay regardless of credit card branding.

That has been widely documented everywhere (including here in numerous existing threads).

3. navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Yep I do know that, and that's why I mentioned I get a different error message when I use my Amex card. When I use Barclaycard or any other UK based card I straight get an error message saying issuing bank doesn't support Apple pay and it gives me a list of banks. But with Amex it says there was a problem with verifying my card.

4. bigchrisfgb, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Your still not getting it. Just because Amex is based in the US it doesn't mean it will work. It will only work with cards issued in the US.

Your Amex card will be issued via the British/European side of the Amex business that doesn't have a deal with Apple pay so far. You will not have been able to get an Amex card from the US side of the Amex business unless you applied for it in the US and have it tied to a US bank account.

The only way for someone in the UK to use Apple pay is by going over to the US and opening an account with a US bank. To do that though you would likely need to have a US address, possibly a US social security number, oh and any charges to a different currency (£) will likely incur an exchange charge. Thats a lot of hurdles and extra expense to overcome to be able to use Apple pay for a few months before it comes out in the UK, especially when you consider that most bank cards now come with NFC.

5. BSben macrumors 6502a

Your card needs to come from the U.S. and not from Amex in the UK. And even if it worked, it wouldn't be much use as lots of places don't take Amex in the UK.

6. navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Thanks guys, well I guess I have wait couple of more years (or 5) to find out which banks will support apple pay.

7. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Not really, Visa have said that it's coming to Europe in 2015.

8. navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Only time will tell.

9. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

While it's nice that the credit card companies are working on it there's been little to no noise from the mainstream banks here. You would have thought they would at least be putting out messages saying they are working on it too.

I'm with OP on this, I sense we are in for a long wait.

Matt

10. dspalton macrumors 6502a

Do amex prepaid cards work for the $ currency?

dave

11. wsc9005 macrumors regular

Tesco, Morrisions, John Lewis, Waitrose, M&S, Starbucks, Scot Rail, even cheap Iceland super market and local restaurants in Glasgow acceptsAmex these days...

12. navodwickra thread starter macrumors 6502

navodwickra

You forgot sainsburys