Apple ultra-thin aluminum keyboard -- any good for gaming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Action, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Action macrumors member

How is the Apple ultra-thin aluminum keyboard for gaming (in XP via bootcamp on my MBP)?

I play a mix of FPS, RTS, and RPG.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The wired one is better than the wireless one because it has a full number pad plus real arrow keys. It's definitely the best keyboard I've ever used for typing but I don't do much serious PC gaming any more so even if I had a different keyboard it would still feel a bit alien to me.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

The keyboard is perfectly fine for gaming.

I play a variety of games from FPS to RTS's and have had no issues with it.

Its a major step up from the old White Apple keyboard which seemed to have an issue with its sensitivity. (e.g You would need to keep pressing"W" really hard to have your character continuously move in-game.)

So go for the Aluminum Wired keyboard, it's pretty nice :D

5. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I've actually had the opposite experience. I played hours upon hours of cs:source on my white apple keyboard and felt totally comfortable. I have since replaced that keyboard with a wired aluminum one, and recently picked up cs:s again. Only after a few days of playing, I notice discomfort in my left hand after just a few rounds.

I would say it really does depend on the person. The aluminum keyboard is very comfortable for typing, etc.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I don't mind using my wireless aluminum keyboard for gaming (FS X) under boot camp. I just have the function (F1, F2,etc.) set to be used as function keys, (IE not as volume/brightness/media playback). I'll probably be getting a ergonomic keyboard soon, because I find normal keyboards uncomfortable to type on for long periods of time, but for gaming I have no problem with it.

Don

7. macdot macrumors 6502

I don't game, but love the keyboard. Great on the wrists.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The laptop style keys should be a lot better for gaming, since they are so much easier to press and dont take as much pressure. I have a logitech keyboard with laptop keys and find it way better than the old keyboards.

Its perfectly normal for your wrists to hurt when switching to a new mouse or keyboard, it takes time for them to get used to the new position. Happens to me with every new device I get, it goes away after a couple days.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The action is pretty unforgiving, so maybe not so suitable for gaming. Personally I have a small stash of the alum keyboards shipped with the Pros which are occasionally claimed by friends - I never use them anymore.

I find the alum keyboard subpar for a scissor-action keyboard - although perhaps people moving from the truly craptastic white keyboard may feel it's an improvement. But anyone coming from a quality action laptop or even membrane style keyboard that doesn't suck as much as the white keyboard did may probably feel it's inadequacies.

I'd say take a look at the MacAlly Icekey - it's not expensive and it's feel is more suited to all-purpose use than the Apple keyboard.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hate using it for games; way too mushy and it doesn't respond fast enough.'

Of I hate using it general, but still.

11. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I happily game with mine (and I have my G15 still under the bed - havent felt the need to go back) - I find it fine (tho all I play are fps) and if anything I am still getting better at COD4 even though I am using a non-gamer keyboard.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can it support 6 button presses at the same time? I don't want to have to look for mine in the basement storage…

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Point me to a game that requires you to press 6 buttons simultaneously.

14. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hello Kitty Island Adventure......that game is hardcore.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Want to sell one? Ive been wanting to get one but they are too expensive.

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

$50 for a keyboard is too expensive? What are you doing using a Mac? You're welcome to one from my stash but you'll have to pick it up.

Personally I don't mind the G15 which I had on my gaming PC's, but for all-purpose + gaming use as far as full-travel membrane keyboards are concerned I prefer the action of the Microsoft Reclusa. Think of the Apple white keyboard in terms of pitch and travel but with a more hand-friendly key angle and without any binding, end-keypress stodginess, etc and you wouldn't be far off. It does have a few problems - such as the iTunes / WMP shortcut being directly beside the left shift key which is incredibly dumb - but it's responsive and fairly positive. That said, I still prefer the PC version of the MacAlly Icekey for general use.

17. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Well I've been using the keyboard for months with no pain. The discomfort only started when I began gaming. That's why I pointed it out.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I paid more than $50 for just my mouse, its just that I already have an expensive keyboard so I dont want to spend a lot of money on a keyboard I dont really need. Could I convince you to mail me one for $20 (if youre in the USA)?

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

To a lot of people $10 is too expensive for a keyboard ;)