Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacSlash posts a report which explains why Apple Wireless Mouse and Keyboard are not presently a build-to-order option at the Apple Online Store.

Based on comments from an Apple representative, Bluetooth Devices need to be configured before their use. If they were to ship new Macs with only Wireless accessories, new users would have no functional keyboard and mouse in order to setup their systems.

Reportedly they are working on work-arounds.

DanUk2003

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Worthing, UK
Well i'm not going to buy one.

Apple (Mr. Jobs in particular) are stupid for not making their mice 2 button - or at the VERY LEAST have some sort of extra functionality - scrolling for example?!

Bad move apple - i'm buying Logitech!

:mad:

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Makes sense. This would make even BTO wireless products unusable. They could put a warning when you are ordering that you need to have a functioning keyboard and mouse (not the Apple peripherals) in order to configure your new wireless ones.

Better make it a BIG warning. :p

Comment

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
It´s sort of stoopid. But for them to configure the system to use your bluetooth mouse, you would pay the same as you pay to get the ordinary keyboard in addition.. :/

Comment

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
here's an idea!!!

and its a great one!!! Make the darn things rechargeable with a usb cable, and then like magic you wont have to worry about this problem, or if Apple would include touch screens, which may seem useless, but I have one and its such a lifesaver if the mouse is acting up and actually has become a natural interface of just pushing a button on screen on my laptop rather then getting the mouse moving, and no I do not have one of those fancy tablet pee cees I have the original tablet pee cee, the ibm transnote =)

Comment

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Re: here's an idea!!!

Originally posted by davidc2182
and its a great one!!! Make the darn things rechargeable with a usb cable, and then like magic you wont have to worry about this problem

that would actually be a very clever thing to do..

Comment

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
I think they need to focus on getting the mice to work properly before they can even think about BTO options.
My Apple wireless mouse constantly loses connectivity. In addition, the scan resolution is low, and the response time is poor. This is probably the worst mouse I've ever owned.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Originally posted by DanUk2003
Well i'm not going to buy one.

Apple (Mr. Jobs in particular) are stupid for not making their mice 2 button - or at the VERY LEAST have some sort of extra functionality - scrolling for example?!

Bad move apple - i'm buying Logitech!

:mad:

Hey Dan,

Relax! Venting isn't going to get us anywhere. We all want to see an Apple mouse with a scrollwheel (scrollpad anyone?). Multi-buttons isn't on the top of my list since I prefer to use both hands when using my computer, and control-clicking works great. (what are you doing with your other hand, btw?)

Now, if you were talking about a "Pro" Apple mouse, then I'd expect two buttons and a scrollwheel, but we're not. We're talking about a consumer-level mouse that nicely showcases the simplicity of Apple products, and a one-button no-frills mouse does that just great! The second button isn't needed on a Mac, but IS needed on a PC. Enjoy your Logitech.

[Sorry for swaying from the subject, but these negative off-topic posts are non-sense.]

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Re: here's an idea!!!

Originally posted by davidc2182
and its a great one!!! Make the darn things rechargeable with a usb cable, and then like magic you wont have to worry about this problem…

This brilliant, but obvious suggestion is exactly what Apple should have done in the first place - who the hell wants to have to worry if their battery is low/ wheres my charger, where's my new batteries, whatever. Thats what I think most people on this forum expected when they were first rumored.

Anyway, I have decided I am not going to moan about the lack of a second button and a scroll wheel, I'm not , just not, not ………

Comment

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
How UN-APPLE this seems

It surprises me that they didnt figure out a workaround before they started making them.

I suppose two keyboards is better than one.:D

Comment

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah, they should come w/ a firewire cable or something so they can charge... and also, they could market it as "Wireless on Demand" where you dont have to have it wireless all the time, just when you want to.

Comment

spinfits

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2003
Why not have FireWire plug on keyboard?

If the wireless keyboard had a FireWire plug on the back, you could plug it in to config it the first time and charge the internal battery. Sounds too easy to be true. No cradle. No batteries to change.

Comment

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
That's hilarious! :D

Ah, well. It's probably for the best. New switchers probably don't want to deal with wireless gizmos (beginner users, that is).

I'm sure Apple will figure something out and probably make it a BTO option.

Comment

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: Why not have FireWire plug on keyboard?

Originally posted by spinfits
If the wireless keyboard had a FireWire plug on the back, you could plug it in to config it the first time and charge the internal battery. Sounds too easy to be true. No cradle. No batteries to change.

why waste a firewaire port? who even has a firewire hub?

usb is the answer to this, firewaire answers other questions.

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Why not have FireWire plug on keyboard?

Originally posted by spinfits
Actually this should be a USB connector. it doesn't need the speed of firewire. Also, I bet there isn't a firewire keyboard driver. And why waste firewire ports for a slow device anyway?

Comment

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Over Achiever
That makes sense. :)

It's like the parody...

"Unable to detect keyboard. Please press F1 to continue..."

Or something like that. :D

-O.A.

Not to get all geeky on you or anything, but that was not a parody, it was a common error message put out by many different brands of PC BIOS.

Really, it makes perfect sense, except that (in typical fashion) the implied step was left out for brevity: step "1" was "Find a keyboard and plug it in." After which you would press F1.

Yes, I had a PC which gave this error message (a garage-built 386SX-16 with 2MB RAM in about 64 DIMMs soldered right on the motherboard ...), and, yes, I actually saw the error message (more than once); plugging the keyboard in and pressing F1 let the computer finish booting ...

Comment

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
IDEA!!!

they could make it a firewire, witha firewire port, that way, when its plugged in you have an extra firewire port, and when you want to reharge, it uses the ipod dock connector, best of everything, and you only need one cable, mabye for the isight, the ipod, and the keyboards and mouse
what do you all think
AK

Comment

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Poff
It´s sort of stoopid. But for them to configure the system to use your bluetooth mouse, you would pay the same as you pay to get the ordinary keyboard in addition.. :/

Actually, it's worse than that. Just having someone boot up your machine at the factory and synch the BT devices would allow you to boot at home.

BUT, what if you ever had to reformat your disk and reinstall OS X? How would you boot your machine up?

No, the only "elegant" answer is to make the BT devices recognized at system boot time. Not sure how much work this would be. It would, however, also eliminate any need for anyone to do anything to your system prior to sending it off on FedEx.

Comment

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Re: USB

Originally posted by SeedlessX
edit--got this in after the usb post above, never mind.

What about USB 2? Will that transfer power? If so, you would have to do the transfer from the tower. You wouldn't want to steel from the keyboards battery supply.

Unless Apple has found a way to transmit pure power via BT. And I think if they did that... many other worldly problems will soon be solved.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.